Search

Algarve Must See's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Algarve Must See's

G'day folks

My wife and I will be staying in the Algarve from Dec 22 to approx. Jan 1 or 2. We are tourists from Canada and have never been to Portugal.

Are there any must see's or don't bother's in the Algarve area? We're not really into the "tourist thing" but prefer instead to experience some of the local culture/food/events/landmarks.

We will have a rental car.

Any advice/input/comments would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance
CAPT
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I was there in early December a number of years ago. It is a lonely place in the winter. You'll have it to yourself, and maybe a few Aussies. For a Canadian you seem to have some Aussie lingo about you so you should feel right at home. English is well spoken because so many Brits come over, in the summer. Can't say I was too impressed with Faro. I would rather have stayed in Lisbon.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:27 PM

Tavira, near the Spanish border, is about the only old-world-looking town i saw on the Algarve, pretty much a string of boring modern seaside resorts catering to the influx of northern Europeans who come mainly for sun and surf. But Tavira is an old town, and also has a great beach nearby, with character! Faro i agree is blah, though it's a very real Portugeuse regional town and it well away from the sea dominated by high-rise hotels. Lagos also have some colorful old sections and is worth a visit.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:15 AM

We liked Lagos, Silves, Monchique and the Lighthouse on the Cabo de San Vincente (sp?). There is a tremendous amount of history here. Did you know that Lagos was the first slaving market in Europe?There are some beautiful beaches and walking trails linking them all the way to the Weasternmost point. That would be worth checking out and perhaps, mountain biking it.

I absolutely hated Albufiera which was like the worst of the fish and chips hooligan Brit stuff. I guess it would appeal to 20 something party people.

Where are you staying?

Cheers,
Jan
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Another vote for Tavira. Quaint, gorgeous town with many restaurants along the river. I was there July 04 so I am not sure if all places will be open in the winter. There is also a National Park with a beach and more restaurants that you take a ferry ro get to. The beach here is popular again, may not be open in the winter.Tavira was the nicest spot on the Algarve for us. We also stayed in Lagos for 2 nights, ok, did the drive to Sagres to see the fort.Faro- a dump. Albufeira, if you are looking for a resort town with stores, vendors with souveniers then its a nice town. The beach here is nicer than Tavira which was very windy, being on the Atlantic. Beach at Lagos was very small.Also has afort, amble around at night.Carvoeira another small town , beach was gorgeous, great photo ops, rocky outcrops. Best peri-peri-(spicy) prawns and chicken in Tavira.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:49 AM

Put simply the further away from Faro (east or west) you go the more you will find the real Algarve if such a thing still exists.

The only town near Faro that has some character is Olahao which is still a working town. From there you can get an old ferry (foot passengers only) to two virtually deserted islands which have only just got electricity. I think the ferries run a reduced service in winter - otherwise chat up a rich local with their own boat! The town has a few restaurants and an excellent fish market. Tavira is about 30 mins further east and as others have said well worth a visit. Enjoy