Beaches in Portugal?

Search

Beaches in Portugal?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches in Portugal?

We are heading to Portugal and Spain for out honeymoon next June (early June) and looking for a nice beach area in Portugal. I've heard the beaches right outsided of Portugal are great. Any recommendations?
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM

You can go to the region of Algarve, with its idyllic temperatures (average temperature in winter of 14?C and 24?C - 57?F and 75?F - in summer, rarely going below 12?C - 53?F- during winter and reaching as high as 28?C or 30?C - 82?F or 86? F - in July and August). One of the best beaches for me, is the "Vale do Lobo" beach in Almancil.
You have Albufeira (very turist beach, great night); Tavira; Olhão ...and so on.
You have the beaches of the Alentejo coast too: "Portocovo" and "Vila Nova de Mil Fontes" are great!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - have you spent time in Cascais or Salema?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:33 AM

If you want only a honeymon whit good wheather whit many days on the beach, go to the region of Algarve. I prefer Tavira (island), Praia Verde, Monte Gordo, Cabanas and Vale do Lobo.
Salema sits at the bottom of a narrow valley where the local fisherman continue to go about their daily chores amongst sunbathers on the beach. Much of the traditional charm still remains with little white washed cottages, cobbled streets and colourful fishing boats in abundance. It boasts a handful of shops, restaurants and bars along with the regular weekly market selling local handicrafts and fresh produce. The excellent sandy beach is encompassed by magnificent cliffs at either end and provides safe bathing and secluded sunbathing areas for holidaymakers.Salema is a very nice beach, near from Lagos.

Cascais is very different, is like a cosmopolitan seaside resort. But is very beautiful place to visit.
Stylish summer resort.
Amongst the numerous restaurants, bars and discotheques are the following historic places: Castro Guimarães Museum and Sea Museum, the 18th century churches of Nossa Senhora da Assunção and Nossa Senhora dos Navegantes; the chapels of Nossa Senhora da Guia (15th century) and São Sebastião (16th and 17th-centuries) and the 17th century fortress. Just a few minutes away lies Guincho beach (a great place for those who enjoy surfing and windsurfing).
Rent a car, to see more places and beache. You gonna like it!

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 02:11 PM

We just returned from early Sept. in Portugal and spent much of our time on the beaches north of Sintra where we were based. Didn't get to the Algarve however I can't imagine a more beautiful beach than Magoito, our favorite. Lovely, sandy, rocky with great tide pools, excellent small bar/cafe with mussels and clams in a wonderful garlic broth. There is also Azenhas do Mar which is one of the most picturesque towns that I have ever seen. Cabo da Roca, the Western most point in Europe is breathtaking, although not really for the beach, but for the lighthouse and the short hike out on the rocks that make you feel suspended in air above the azure water. There are dozens of small villages and beaches north of Cascais that are less populated by tourists. Peniche is not particularly a great place to lie on the beach, but you can't beat the fresh fish there, and we had a fish stew that was to die for. The agent at the Hertz rental in Cascais pointed out the places that he loved growing up along the coast and recommended some excellent places for lunch and dinner, although our favorite was to stop at a supermercado and put together our own lunches. One thing, be somewhat prepared before you go with beach towels and if possible a beach umbrella since at times it can be pretty toasty (as you will be without one). It is an idyllic setting and I would love to go back (and WILL go back!).