ALAIN DUCASSE OR LE MEURICE FOR ANNIVERSARY DINNER

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I got engaged at Lasserre in Paris 10 years ago and are going back to Paris for our 10th anniversary this year. We have narrowed our restaurant searches to Alain Ducasse or Le Meurice. We are looking for the full experience (food, decor and service). We are staying at the Crillon and will be having breakfast at Les Ambassadeurs. I have read all the book reviews, but would like to hear from you all who have eaten at either (or both) restaurants with your input. Thanks.

Laurie
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM

I have eaten at both. I would go to Taillevant.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

We looked at Taillevent and considered it. The website is not good to see the dining room. Why do you recommend it over the others?
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM

I have also eaten at both and prefer Taillevant.

BUT...since this is a special occasion, I would go with Le Meurice. The dining room is beautiful, romantic and I adored my one meal there. Taillevant has a more "clubby" feel, wood paneled dining room, not quite as formal looking.

Alain Ducasse seems a bit commercialized to me.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Linda431. Have you been to Alain Ducasse since they redecorated the dining room? It is beautiful but I do believe Le Meurice is a little more grand. How recent were your visits to both restaurants.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

By the way Laurie, my husband & I went to Lassere on our first trip to Paris together over 20 years ago. I'll never forget it. I think you'll enjoy Le Meurice.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

Le Meurice was 2 years ago, Alain Ducasse was 3. (Taillevent was Monday night....that was meal #18 for us at Taillevent.)
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Linda-

You have been really helpful. We loved Lasserre and want just as special evening. I come from a hotel/restaurant background and I think your point is valid regarding the commercial aspect of Alain Ducasse, especially since he (more than likely) will not be in the kitchen. At this point I believe we will book at Le Meurice.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Linda-

Do you go to Paris every year or do you live there? You must love Taillevent if you have been there 18 times. Could you recommend some other nice restaurants to us that our not as formal and upscale as Le Meurice? Thanks. Laurie
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM

We live in New Orleans but we go to France every year, wish it could be more often.

Where you're staying has a lovely dining room but last time (about 5 years ago) it looked as if it could have used an update or 2.

Pre Catalan is another gorgeous place with incredible food, but you were asking about less formal.

Here's a list of some of our favorites:

L'Angle de Faubourg (Taillevant's bistro)
Bastide Odeon
Au Bon Acceuil (check my spelling on that)
Vin sur Vin
Le Dome (seafood)
Chez Maitre Albert

Le Dome has the best lobster salad I've ever eaten, ditto for the sole meuniere. If we're in Paris on a Sunday night we always go there because it's one of the few places open. I dream about that lobster.

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Linda-

Are you speaking of Les Ambassadeurs at the Crillon or L'Obelisque? I believe Les Ambassadeurs has been renovated since you were there. Thanks for all of your recommendations. We will also be staying on the Left Bank for a few nights and wasn't sure if your suggestions included any restaurants there? I will rely on the concierge as well as my Zagat for suggestions as well.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Linda-

We did consider Pre Catelan but ruled it out. However, I do believe we will do Taillevent for lunch. I read that they have lost one of their Michelin stars though this year.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:13 PM

Yes, it's the Crillon I was referring to. I'm sure it has been rennovated since our last visit.

On the list I gave you, the Bastide Odeon, Le Dome and Maitre Albert are all on the left bank.

Yes, Taillevant lost a star and the rumor is that it was because there are "too many Americans" there. Mr. Vrinat is very open about his love for Americans and I guess Michelin decided that wasn't "French". Anyway, it was just as good as ever if not better so don't let that deter you.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

No, for the quintessential Parisian experience, I'm going to recommend the hip "Les Ombres" at the Quai Branly museum, where you feel you can reach out and practically touch the Eiffel Tower-nothing like the views (and the food is very good) to put you in the right romantic Parisian frame of mind.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Linda-

Thanks for all info. There are two restaurants in the Crillon, which is what I was referring to. Les Ambassadeurs is the formal, 2 Michelin star one and we will have breakfast there. Thanks for the update on Taillevent as well. I would not let the star situation deter me from going there.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Laurie,
Les Ambassadeurs was the one I was referring to as well. I didn't realize there were 2 restaurants in the hotel.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and a great anniversary. I'm sure whatever place you decide on will give you another 10 years of happy memories.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM

pariswoman; I know this is not what you asked, but we love Chez Rene for a casual Parisian experience.

www.parishotels.com/restaurants/ prs_list_rest_detail_chez_rene_en.html - 55k -
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I have never been to Le Meurice (I plan to go in July), but Alain Ducasse is where I went on my ex wife's 40th birthday and my 50th. Each year I go to Paris at least once (I live in Savannah) and eat at one 3 star each trip. Alain Ducasse is unquestionably the best restaurant in the world. Do yourself a favor and go. It cannot be surpassed. Please let me know what you decide and how your meal was. My second choice, by the way, would be L'Ambroisie.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Similan-

We have made reservations at Le Meurice instead of Ducasse. I appreciate your input and will let you know how it is. Thanks for the other recommendation as well.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:01 AM

You should be very please with Le Meurice.......

enjoy......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -