AIX! CLIMATE AND PACKING

Search

AIX! CLIMATE AND PACKING

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIX! CLIMATE AND PACKING

Hi all- I'm about to go abroad to Aix-en-Provence for the spring semester, and I am at a total loss as to packing... I know the Mistral is tough to bear, but besides that, what is the spring climate like? And how chic should I get (can you really be over-chic in France?) Any must-packs for Provence? Thanks!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:59 AM

While you'll certainly need warm clothes- think layers- try holding off buying too many items. Spend your money once you've gotten there! Most of the students I saw in Aix dressed similar to those in the US- more comfort than "style."
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:22 PM
sandi

What you wear here will do fine in Aix as it is a University town. The weather will still be changeable, so be prepared with layers, and don't forget to pack an umbrella.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses! I'm just frightened that I will end up with too many casual outfits and not enough pairs of heels to be honest! I am a real clothes-horse and I don't want to look out of place- or too "American" if you know what I mean. I am going crazy over packing right now. Can I really bring too much? Thanks again!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:28 AM
sandi

You "might" need 1-pr of low heels, only for a "nice dinner". Otherwise, there are way too many hills and unlevel streets for navigating in heels. Have nice comfy flat shoes.

Do not overpack, as you probably won't be changing three times a day. You put on your day clothing which should be comfy and often wear straight thru dinner, unless, you have something special planned for the evening.

Surprisingly, the university students in AIX look very much the same as anywhere else. Nobody seemed to be impressing anyone with "named" clothing.

You will also probably find interesting scarves or sweaters in the shops, that might make you feel more in line with locals. There is also a Mon a Prix shop on the Cours Mirabeau, which has lots of "everything" at relatively moderate prices, so it would be easy and inexpensive to add to your wardrobe if you feel you must. But there are lots of other interesting things to find in this store.

It's kind of like a Target or Marshall's (hey, even the rich & famous here at home shop these stores), but different - maybe because they have items not found at in the States. Lots of hair dodads, wine, food items, also.

Don't give a thought to being "under-chic" - the French do it mostly with accessories, not necessaily with the basic pieces. A great scarf, hat, pin, layers of colors. Rather simply.

Have a good time.

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 05:45 AM

If you are genuinely concerned about
looking "too American" then the worst thing you can do is arrive with four suitcases of clothes you will never wear.

It won't get really warm until you are getting ready to leave (I assume you're doing the January-May gig), so you'll need to plan for brisk to downright chilly weather. By April it will be warm in the afternoons with a chill at night. By May, you might get some 70+ weather in the afternoons. There will always be rain, so be prepared for that.

If it were my daughter packing, I'd tell her to bring 3-4 pairs of comfortable pants, including jeans, 10-12 tops, including a couple of short-sleeved ones, a couple of turtlenecks or at least long-sleeved ones, a couple of sweaters, and maybe a sweatshirt, and a nice blouse or two. Maybe one skirt, one jacket, and one nice dress. In other words, have one or two at the most nice outfits for dress-up occasions, and the rest of the time just be comfortable and warm enough. One pair of comfortable but chic shoes, one pair of heels, and one pair of sneakers or boots for trekking around.

You don't need to be chic - you're a student, and your French counterparts won't be all that chic, either.

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Provence-chic is not like Paris chic. You won't see all the women in black, for one thing--the look is a bit livlier. The spring climate can only be called variable: you may get quite cold temperatures, but then again it could be mild. My French friend (who was at school in Aix) says to think layers, layers, layers and be sure to take a warm jacket or coat.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:13 AM

Hi Brettashley,

Which school are you going to? I spent the last two years at IEFEE on Gaston Sapporta. Their classrooms aren't always well-heated (those old buildings!) so we sometimes wore coats in class!

My school wardrobe was really casual. Most students wear jeans and comfortable shoes at school - no matter where they're from. I was one of the (ahem) older students but even we didn't dress up for class. But you will most likely dress up more for dinners/clubs in the evening.

It's freezing here right now so bring a warm coat and sweaters. It will, of course, get warmer but still chilly at night.

StCirq's list sounds about right. I'm currently living here in Aix, so flag me down if there's anything I can help you with.