Reload this Page >

Airport X-ray machine

Search

Airport X-ray machine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Simon

Airport X-ray machine

Is anyone had a problem with your film going through the new X-ray inspection machine at airport?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Kurt

I've taken 20 - 30 rolls each trip and have not had problems in years - although I do use a lead film shield bag and always pack the film in the suitcase and not carry on. My last trips were September last year (just after 9/11) and this past February. That's my experience with Germany - not sure about other countries.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:23 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>these machines have been in use for about 30 years.<BR><BR>I have never had problems with the film, and that includes ASA1000 film used for action photos near the arctic circle in February.<BR><BR>Peter

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Simon

What about NEW X-Ray Machine?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:15 AM
janis

The Xray screening machines used for carry-ons will not hurt any film under about 1600 ASA. But Xray effect is cumulative so if you are on a trip taking you through 10-15 or more airports you might want to invest in a lead bag. Otherwise they are really not needed.<BR><BR>NEVER, EVER (!), place film in checked luggage. Some machines used to screen these are MUCH higher power and definitely can ruin even slower flims.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:27 AM
ms

I just had my first experience with losing some pictures. Have flown hundreds of times...overseas and domestic. Anyway, I purchased 200 speed thinking that would be ok. The roll that was completed was fine, but the roll that I had taken 10 pictures on, then flew home, finished the roll at home...all the pictures I had taken AFTER getting home were ruined. The others were fine. Do not understand it, but same thing happened with others we traveled with. BTW, this was a domestic flight just last month.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Gretchen

How were they "ruined"? What did they look like?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:16 AM
ms

The negatives only showed bits of pieces of a picture...so no pictures even were printable. I was surprised the damage was as extensive...was expecting to at least be able to see something.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 07:38 AM
no

That doesn't sound like x-ray damage to me. That sounds like either something happened to your camera or the film or processing was bad. The x-ray will effect ALL undeveloped film, not just unexposed film and it will make it look 'cloudy' not black.