Search

airport transportion from venice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airport transportion from venice

hi all
certain things I do not like to leave to chance, this is certainly one of them I
have been pondering..
Our flight from venice to sfo leaves at 1pm
(13:00). we will be staying at the Antiche Figure hotel, near the rail station. What is the easiest to find, cheapest, and fastest way to get to the airport? If we get a vaporetto pass, or a Venice card, is the fare covered? how long should we allow time wise to get to the airport? does the 2
hour preflight arrival time apply? thanks
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:57 AM

From the station area, you can walk a short distance to the nearby Piazzale Roma, and take a land bus to the airport.

ACTV operates water buses and land buses. I'm pretty sure the multi-day vaporetto pass is for water bus only. But the land bus fare is just 1 euro. You can take one (they're orange) to the airport from P. Roma. I think it is the Number 5 bus, but check.

The blue ACTO airport bus will also get you to the airport for about 3 euros from P. Roma. Probably easier to use this if you have luggage.

You can look up the travel times at their sites.

The other options are: (1) Airport shuttle (boat, Allighuna) which stops at a few places in Venice, I don't know where would be closest to you. Faster, more room for luggage, but more like 35 Euros. (2) Water taxi, by pre-arrangement (check the hotel desk) will pick you up wherever you like. Direct, fast, way expensive.

It is a very small airport and probably 2 hours will not be necessary. But there have been recent reports of long lines at security so maybe better safe than sorry...

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Oops. The Allighuna is closer to 10 euros, depending on where you start from, not 35.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM

A little clarification on the buses from Piazzale Roma mentioned by capxxx. The orange ACTV bus is covered by the vaporetto pass. Luggage on it is no problem, there is plenty of room and just one step up into the bus. It takes about 20-25 mins. from Piazzale Roma to the airport and it stops right outside the airport door. Since you're staying near the train station, it would be a very short vaporetto ride to Piazzale Roma.

The blue ATVO (not ACTO) is not covered by the vaporetto pass.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Of course, I meant blue ATVO bus is not covered by the pass.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:59 AM

The ACTV website says the vaporetto pass is for water transport only...but I've never tried it, so don't know for sure.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM

> The ACTV website says the vaporetto pass is for water transport only

I took ACTV bus two years ago from Marco Polo airport to Piazzale Roma with 3-day pass. Upon boarding, I showed it to the driver and he just indicated me to validate it on the machine. So I assumed the landbus was included. And on the site I don't find the line that says " vaporetto pass is for water transport only". What I found is the following.

" allowing unlimited use of all water bus lines (excluding the Alilaguna, Fusina, LineaBlu and Clodia services) and on the buses in Mestre and Lido. These cards entitle passengers to carry one item of luggage with them: .. 24hr pass & 72hr pass .."

It's not that clear above but since the pass includes land bus on Mestre and Lido, why not the bus Piazzale Roma - Airport via Mestre?
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:59 AM

You may want to go on the tripadvisor forum for information on transportation from the Marco Polo Airport to Venice. The local expert (Robert) has laid out the different options (i.e. ACTV bus, Alliguna water bus and the water taxi). There are several postings with prices, etc. Good luck finding the info.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM

The man at the Marco Polo airport sold me the 22.50-Euro 3-day pass and told me it was good for the ACTV buses as well as the vaporettos.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Oh, Robet says the same as me since long time. The pass is good for P.Roma-Airpoirt landbus.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM

ttt
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:44 AM

I was just there in Sept, and the 3-day pass I purchased did cover the orange ACTV bus.