Airline Food continued: Can you BYOB?

Apr 18th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Ronda

Airline Food continued: Can you BYOB?

Is it ok to bring on your own wine to drink in flight? I really don't like the wine they serve in coach. If so, what size is allowable? How about champagne?

Apr 18th, 2002, 07:33 PM
David

I believe the answer is no. You're not allowed to drink any alcohol other than what they serve you, to avoid letting people get drunk and uncontrollable.

My experience is that they enforce this strictly, although maybe it varies by airline and flight crew

Apr 18th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Freecia

Ahem, while I do know it is legal...
Alcohol 30% more potent in the air and inebriated passengers are a big cause of air rage.
If you really want to crash, just take some melatonin and you'll arrive refreshed instead of hung over. Melatonin helps you sleep and from what I have read, works fairly well.
If you really want to celebrate, take a small bottle. Pommoroy Pop makes cute little ones that you can share with someone else for 1 glass each. It's a screw on cap so you don't need to bring a bottle opener.
If all this doesn't deter your from bringing a Franzia box (or rather your fave bottle of wine) just THINK about lugging it through the whole airport and down the airplane galley. Just lose those 3 pounds.

Apr 18th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Lisa

Extra weight? Depends on your priorities! My husband and I carried seven bottles of French wine home from Paris last week in our carry-ons (whose contents we'd emptied into our checked suitcase to make more room).

We didn't drink any on the plane, but when we pop some of that good stuff open this summer, all that lugging around will be well worth it.

Lisa

Apr 18th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Carson

I like the way you think, Lisa. When are we tasting the first one?

Apr 18th, 2002, 11:16 PM
freecia

Well, bringing home wine is a different story, isn't it?
My point is that there's no need to expressedly bring a bottle of your own wine because you don't like the airline's wine. Or at least not a full bottle.
And I understand this point of view. My parents brought back at least 3 bottles of Ice wine from Canada.

Apr 19th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Dominic

Message Lisa: Forgive my ignorance but is it not possible to buy decent french (or italian, spannish etc) wine back home in the US? wouldn't that be simpler? Nip down the off-liscence that's what i say!

Apr 19th, 2002, 05:58 PM
slider

If you bring your own, don't flaunt it and laugh it off if one of the stewardesses happens to see you making a pour. Before and after they make their appointed rounds it is difficult to get any attention even if you turn on the call light.

Apr 19th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Ronda

The wine provided is OK but I like to bring a small amount of some decent wine to drink - like one glass each. It is just fun to do. I have used a plastic green soda bottle in the past.