Search

French Wine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Wine

Has anyone shipped wine from Paris to the U.S.? I have asked in wine shops there but no one seems to do it. Can I do it myself and how?
Thanks. You guys are the best source of info out there.
Barbara K
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:40 AM

It's very expensive to ship wine back to the states. Most wine shops carry special styrofoam cartons to pack a case of wine. I brought one back from Italy in my checked baggage (you get two checked bags with the airline).
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Depends on the laws of the destination. Usually state laws. There is at least one website about this. 'Free the Grapes' might be the name.

For example, it is illegal to ship wine to your home in Georgia, because it bypasses the state tax collection locations. Some people on Fodor's have said that it is no problem to ship wine to a home in California.

Considering the cost of transatlantic shipping, it only makes sense if you are saving an awful lot of money per bottle.

You might consider bringing it back with you (carrying it). Although the offical limit is low, I have not heard of customs officals bothering anyone about the number of bottles they are carrying. Last trip I came home with a three pack of wine and a bottle of grappa.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
RJD

Do the new restrictions on what may be in a carry on or in checked baggage come into play here? I have on many occasions brought back a few bottles in my baggage wrapped carefully to prevent breakage. Now I'm not sure I would do that again.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:46 AM

RJD

I spoke to TSA yesterday and asked about bringing wine in checked bags...they said it was fine going from USA to Europe, however, they are not in charge of security from France or Italy to USA, so local rules apply. I then called our airline, United, to get the rules from Paris to here and the person I spoke with didn't know and suggested we ask for a security desk when we arrive in Europe to know what to expect....so whether to bring wine back or not is still up in the air..
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Yes, you might be forced to check it. But if you have a claim check for it, then you get the wine or lost baggage refund amount when you get home.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:23 PM

If you have a regular wine merchant that you deal with in your area, you can make the arrangement between the Paris store and your local US merchant to facilitate the shipping.

Needless to say, this will cost a lot. on a per bottle basis.

Just exactly what wines were you planning on having shipped?
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:01 PM
ira

Hi B,

As noted, you have to check the laws in your state re shipping.

You can bring it with you in your checked luggage - NO LIQUIDS ALLOWED IN CARRYON.

The duty on wine is so low now that Customs doesn't care anymore.

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM

BarbaraR,
Our traveling companions recently brought back several bottles, very carefully protected, in their checked baggage from CDG.
We have brought back, several times, in our checked luggage special La Poste wine cartons, with inserts for 6 bottles, purchased at one of our two favorite wine shops in Paris, La Dernière Goutte, near Place St. Germain at 6 rue de Bourbon-le-Château.

We've found shipping costs to be prohibitively expensive, so we schlep the bottles in our checked luggage. We've never paid a penny in duty.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Hi Ira,

I had assumed it would be fine to bring wine back in checked bags as well until I read here, on Fodor's, about someone having all liquids taken from CHECKED bags in Rome to USA. This really confused me and I am still looking for confirmation that it won't happen to me....after I have bought my wine!!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Just brought back half dozen bottles in my checked luggage. 4 bottles I put in my knee high socks and then put the bottles in 2 pair of boots which make for good protectors. The other 2 bottles I put in plastic bags and then slipped them into my jeans legs and packed my other clothes around them. all six were fine no breakage. However my chocolate covered liquor cherries in my carry on were confiscated at the Budapest airport because they had liquid in them- so there you go.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

The wine in France is different than what we buy here in the States (no sulfates). That is why I want to get it back here. That is a good idea to just ship it with our luggage on the plane.
Thanks everyone.
Barbara K
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Barbara, where did you hear that? It's a myth. Just about all wineries add sulfites to their wines. In the U.S. they are required to put it on the label. This article should help to clear up any misconceptions.

http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/winecomp/so2.htm
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Just returned from Paris and had planned on bringing wine back with me. Since there are the no liquid rules, could not bring with me on carry on.

I checked the CDG airport prior, as well as Continental's website which states that you can purchase wine at the duty free shop at the airport, however, the store has to agree to bring the wine to you on the plane. However, the store people did not seem to be aware of this, and neither was anyone else at the airport.

Ended up finding the wine we liked, and beleive it or not our local store (in Florida) had it! (for less too).

Also, our concierge at the Hilton in Paris was willing to ship it to us at home.. but it just ended up being too costly.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 05:20 AM
ira

>my chocolate covered liquor cherries in my carry on were confiscated at the Budapest airport because they had liquid in them..<

A very good tip, L.