Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airfare : London to Amsterdam (roundtrip)

Old Sep 24th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iím having difficulty finding a flight out of London Heathrow to Amsterdam that is low-priced. There are two of us flying. We are departing Los Angeles on October 9th and arrive at Heathrow on October 10th around 11 am. Iíve been searching for flights that depart LHR/Heathrow on the 10th of October after 1:30 (that would give us time to clear customs and check-in for the next flight). The return to London from Amsterdam would be on October 14th to give us a couple of days in London and then return to Los Angeles. It seems like flights departing Heathrow before 1 pm are very reasonable, but the price increases for the time period we are looking for. Any airlines you think can ticket both for less than $500 U.S. dollar with a departure from LHR on October 10th after 1:30 pm ? I hope that you can help. Thank you,
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Iím having difficulty finding a flight out of London Heathrow to Amsterdam that is low-priced. There are two of us flying. We are departing Los Angeles on October 9th and arrive at Heathrow on October 10th around 11 am. Iíve been searching for flights that depart LHR/Heathrow on the 10th of October after 1:30 (that would give us time to clear customs and check-in for the next flight). The return to London from Amsterdam would be on October 14th to give us a couple of days in London and then return to Los Angeles. It seems like flights departing Heathrow before 1 pm are very reasonable, but the price increases for the time period we are looking for. Any airlines you think can ticket both for less than $500 U.S. dollar with a departure from LHR on October 10th after 1:30 pm ? I hope that you can help. Thank you,
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 05:38 PM

What airline are you flying from LA to LHR? Have you checked what it might cost to just add on a continuing segment to AMS? Also, keep in mind that by having the LHR-AMS leg on a separate ticket you put yourself in jeopardy if your arrival is delayed enough to make you miss the connection.

A quick search on kayak.com shows KLM with afternoon departures for well under $200 with return on 14th October. On skyscanner.com there are also flights well below $200.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:01 PM
mjs

Many of the lower priced fares are probably out of Gatwick or Luton or Stansted.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:11 PM

I assume you have already booked from LA. Next time, try to do multi-city flights (not two one-way) into Amsterdam, out of London.
As Seamus pointed out, booking on separate tickets and separate airlines after another flight is always risky.
If for some reason those KLM flights do not work out and you can find a super early flight the next day, it would be late afternoon by time you get to Amsterdam anyway, and you would be pretty tired, so heck into a hotel near the airport, relax a bit, then head into London for the afternoon and evening dinner.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have sort of painted yourselves into a corner. If you wanted to get to AMS you should have booked a flight to AMS. Either direct or connecting through LHR or CDG or somewhere. It would have been called open jaw or multi city, in to AMS and home from LHR. If you want to get to Amsterdam the same day and not pay a lot, look at EasyJet out of LGW. You need to allow an absolute minimum of 4 hours between landing at LHR and departure from LGW.

Another possibility but likely more expensive than BA or KLM out of LHR, and much more expensive than EasyJet out of LGW, would be taking the Eurostar from St Pancras station.

If you insist on flying out of LHR you'll just have to pay . . .
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 09:13 PM

was posting the same time as Sassafrass . . .
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mjs View Post
Many of the lower priced fares are probably out of Gatwick or Luton or Stansted.
This. Plus even in normal times it would be late to find a cheap flight .

Airlines are also canceling flights almost hourly.

Have you looked at the train? Looks like Ä320 return if I'm not messing up.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 05:01 AM

Look at the train.
Also check on what documents you need for NL.
Currently you need an EU QR code on an app to enter restaurants etc and you cannot put a US vaccination certificate on the Dutch app, which means regular testing.
Neither the US nor the UK are on the safe country list for the Netherlands at this time.
https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...outside-the-eu
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 05:39 AM

Have you already toured England? If because of new Covid testing regulations, cancelled flights to Amsterdam or unavailable flights, there could be a couple of other great options.
1. Bath, Oxford, The Cotswolds and Hampton Court make a wonderful adventure.
2. See if there are cheap flights to Brussels and go to Bruges, Ghent, etc. They are short, cheap train rides, from Brussels, and are gorgeous towns with lovely architecture and great food.
3. There is always Paris.
Eons ago, we used to fly last minute flights going wherever was super cheap with nothing booked. We wanted to go to Spain, but ended up twice in England, thinking we could then get cheap flights on to Spain. Nope. So, we had two wonderful trips to England and Bath is one of our favorite places we have been. Whatever happens, you can have a fabulous trip. Please let us know and do a report after the trip.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 08:21 AM

Sassafrass: Much as I like your suggestions -- I think the OP has other plans per another thread Close to Heathrow but Not at Heathrow

It seems they are taking a trip starting in Amsterdam but have left finalizing some of the arrangements til airfares have risen quite a bit.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 09:12 AM

I don't see what Seamus does, I think this is an impossible quest. There are only two flights in the afternoon that I see, one on BA around 4 pm, and around 5 pm on KLM. One way is less than $200. There is Easyjet out of LGW at 2 pm, and I think BA out of London City center around 5 pm or KLM around 2 pm, and they are fairly cheap, I guess. But I'm not sure you can even get there time to catch them, if you wanted, but you'd have to check. LHR-LGW takes about an hour as I recall (transit) These short intercity European flights often don't go out of LHR, as the budget carriers don't fly out of there.

So the fact that the OP even found flights but thought they were too expensive surprises me as I don't see any other options in the afternoon at all, let alone out of LHR. there might be some at night.

I'd just book the BA one at 2 pm and not quibble over the price, which isn't bad at all. the fare appears to be less than $150 one way. You would have more options returning. I don't think RT fares are that important for short trips like that within Europe, but I only fly cheap carriers when it makes no difference.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 11:18 AM

Since OP would need to be in quarantine for the entire time they are in the Netherlands the whole thing is moot. They need to rethink their trip having updated themselves on the Covid rules.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 12:10 PM
mjs

I thought that you donít have to quarantine after September 22 if you are visiting the Netherlands from the US if you are fully vaccinated and have a acceptable negative COVID test within the allotted time period.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
Since OP would need to be in quarantine for the entire time they are in the Netherlands the whole thing is moot. They need to rethink their trip having updated themselves on the Covid rules.
This is exactly why I was making suggestions for other options.
I saw they were going to Amsterdam, but they have evidently booked RT tickets to/from London, not any tickets to Amsterdam. If that is the case, and hetismij2 is correct, they might well need to consider other ideas.

However, it looks as if quarantine was lifted for fully vaccinated people on Sept 22. Is there something later?

Last edited by Sassafrass; Sep 25th, 2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 06:02 PM

This is a classic example for an open jaw or multi-city ticket to save time and money. Into London and home from Amsterdam.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your responses/recommendations. Amsterdam was not an intended destination. Hence, the reason for not booking directly to Amsterdam. I was able to get roundtrip airfares on Virgin Atlantic (LAX/LHR) for some serious inexpensive amount. Our flight arrives around 10:30 a.m. and I was thinking of where we could fly to once we arrived LHR. The intent is to return to London, spend a couple of days there, and then fly back to Los Angeles. So, no, Amsterdam wasn't the intended destination -- it was an option. With that said, I'm am so confused as to whether Amsterdam is open for travelers from the U. S. ? That all depends on what article or circulation you read. My niece and I are fully vaccinated, and plan on taking a Covid Test prior to departure to the U.K. The Covid restrictions for some countries has made it quite difficult.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Just my 2 Ę . . . but I personally would not be planning a multi-country trip right now. With rules and entry requirements frequently changing - sometimes daily - I'd make things as simple as possible. One entry, one exit, one country . . . So if you are already flying in to the UK and know you meet the requirements there -- stick to the UK.

Old Sep 27th, 2021, 10:49 AM

I know you have traveled a lot and been to several places with your nieces. Has she actually seen much of England though? Bath and places I mentioned earlier plus so many more are beautiful and interesting. If you would feel safe, it looks as if theater productions are happening and London is so wonderful for that. Once when we had five unplanned days in London, we got theater tickets for every single afternoon or evening. Donít know about prices now, but they were cheap then by comparison with NYC.
BTW, it is just wonderful that you and your nieces spend time together traveling.
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Sassafrass -- you and janisj make a lot of sense. There are parts of the UK that I've not seen. I truly would like to visit northern UK and especially Manchester. The idea of going to Bath is wonderful. I was there many years ago and it was beautiful. I used one of my photos from there as a Christmas Card... The idea of going to the theater is great, she is huge fan of the theater. Problem solved Thank you ! ! !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information