COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

air traffic controller strike - do I worry

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

I just read that that the air traffic controllers are planning a "4 hour strike" on 6/25 from noon to 4 pm.

What does this mean? We are scheduled to fly from Venice to Rome on 6/26.

Should I:
1) start worrying now?
2) start looking at other travel options to get us from Venice to Rome?
3) buy travel insurance (is so where?)?
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 07:26 PM

What airline are you flying on? Is this part of your total ticketed itinerary, or is it a separate ticket?

Given the strike is on 6/25, and you are traveling on 6/26, I wouldn't expect a problem.

The train is pretty easy if some odd fluke should happen and you are unable to fly.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
valeriesgallery

Where are the controllers striking?

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

WillTravel,
We are flying Luftansa. Yes, I thought about the train but was concerned that everyone else affected would be too.

Valeriesgallery,
All it said was Air Traffic Controllers in Italy. No specific area. This was posted in the Chicago Tribune on Sunday.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:05 PM

If it's part of your entire itinerary, do not skip this leg without consulting the Lufthansa agents. In general if you miss a leg of your itinerary, the rest of your itinerary is cancelled.

I can't see any problems occurring at all, given the short time of the strike, not even on the day of travel.

If for whatever reason, Lufthansa agents release you to take the train instead, and all fast trains are booked (very unlikely), then you would just have to take a somewhat slower route through Bologna.

But the odds of your flight being disturbed significantly are very remote.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Hello basch, you are flying from Venice to Rome on 6/26. The Air Traffic Controllers 4 hour strike is on 6/25.

The people that have flights during the strike will have to wait until the 4 hour strike is over before their flights take off. As your flight is the day after the strike you will not have any problem at all.

I know..I was "stuck" in the Amsterdam airport for hours some years ago due to the Italian Air Traffic Controllers being on an 8 hour strike. Airlines are organized for announced strikes and your flight the day after the strike will not be a problem. Best regards.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

WillTravel,
Thanks for letting me what would happen if we did not show up for that leg of our trip. That would have been a nightmare if the rest of our flights would have been cancelled.

Loveitaly,
Thank you as well for the information. When strikes happen by us we are never sure how long they will last.

Both of you have really made me feel much better. Thanks again!