Reload this Page >

STRIKES IN MAY 2002, ITALY

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:48 PM
CD12

goto message #156 for strikes in ITALY during MAY 2002 !!!!!

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Molly

I just read the article on Expedia.com and then called my airline, US Airways, for more information. As it turns out we land at Fuimacino on the morning of May 9, the day the Air traffic controllers are supposed to be on strike. US Airways had no knowledge of any strike and asked us to just check back. They say they are usually forwarned. Don't know what to make of it.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Molly

Here is the article and its URL:<BR><BR>http://www.expedia.com/daily/edit/alerts/April30-02ItalyStrikes.asp<BR><BR>Published April 30, 2002 <BR>Strikes to hit Italy throughout May<BR>By Expedia.com Staff | Bellevue, WA <BR>Travelers to Italy need to brace themselves for travel disruptions throughout May, as public transportation workers are planning on holding a number of strikes. The strikes follow a massive general strike held April 16 to protest the labor policies of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Here's a look at when strikes are scheduled and by whom, according to TravelPress and iJet Travel Intelligence:<BR><BR>May 8: public transportation workers <BR>May 9: air traffic controllers <BR>May 10: Alitalia Express employees <BR>May 13: air traffic controllers <BR>May 17: public transportation workers <BR>May 18–19: railroad and ferry employees <BR>June 4: air traffic controllers <BR><BR>Transatlantic flights to Italy on Alitalia are unlikely to be affected by the Alitalia Express strike, but flights within Europe might be disrupted. However, transatlantic flights might be delayed due to the air traffic controllers strikes.<BR><BR>Has anyone else talked with their airline about this?<BR><BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Shelly

I too read this at Expedia and called Alitalia. This is what they told me about their airline information:<BR><BR>May 10 - Alitalia Express due to go on strike<BR>May 13 - If you are flying out of Rome, they will be striking on Rome this day<BR>May 26 - Date set for a national strike. This could present a problem if trying to fly anywhere from - to Italy.<BR><BR>I don't know about the remaining workers (public transportation, railroad and air traffic controllers). The info above is only based on Alitalia.

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Cleo

Help me here - do the dates indicate the "start" date of a strike, or is the strike only for that one day? DO they ever spill over a day or two?<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Carol

not sure this is much help but the railway workers strike was suppose to go from 19:00 on May 18 to 19:00 on May 19. (or something like that) So it was a 24 hour strike starting the first evening and going to the next. Of course my plane arrives at 9 am on May 19 so I have hired a car!

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Rachele

When they use the term public transportation workers, does that mean buses, trains, airplanes, etc...? I have a Cisalpino train reservation on May 17 from Florence to Zurich. I have heard that if you are on an international train, the strike will not impact those routes, but I am not sure. Any info is appreciated!<BR><BR>Thanks

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:02 AM
lee

I just got off the phone with Delta. They said they have no word on any scheduled strikes. That's weird since the plane I'll be flying in on is listed as a duel carrier, Delta and Alitalia. They suggested I call again next week. I fly into Rome on May 15 and depart May 27 so maybe I'll be able to work around the problems. I'll say an extra prayer at St. Peter's, maybe that will help.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Donna

I will be traveling from Zurich to Venice via train on May 18th. I just read about the strikes. Do you have any recommendations for alternate travel arrangments? Is this strike likely? <BR>Please help.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:45 AM
lee

OK, here's what I've found out. The only place I could confirm any info regarding the strikes was on the International Herald Tribune site (www.iht.com/global.html). They have a section called "Italy Daily" that runs articles from Italian papers each day. On page 2 of todays publication under travel I found the following info:<BR>May 10: Flight attendant strike for Alitalia Express. Domestic flights only. Strike is for 4 hours from 10 AM- 2 PM. <BR>May 13: Air traffic controllers in Rome go on strike at 1:30 PM for four hours. Employees of ENAC (I don't know what that is), the civil avaition body, go on strike from 10 AM to 2 PM, also on May 13.<BR>That is all that is listed right now. If anyone is in Italy on May 8 or 9, please let us know if the listed strikes take place.<BR><BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:08 PM
spqr

The most current information that I have found is at the webpage for the Ministero dei Transporti<BR>http://www.trasportinavigazione.it/<BR>If you go to the bottom left of the webpage there is a link to "Prospetto degli scioperi nazionali aggiornato" which lists the currently scheduled national strikes. Of course, these are only the scheduled strikes and only include nationwide strikes.