transit strikes fact or fiction?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been warned of unpredictable and pending transit strikes is italy...should i be concerned?
we are not planning on renting a car, only traveling by train.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Strikes are a fact of life in Italy, but they are less disruptive than you might think, because they don't usually last very long. Italy has these curious short strikes, often lasting only a day, or sometimes even only a few hours. What the point of them is, I don’t know. In the US, the purpose of a strike is to cause enough pain to the management that they will give in to the union’s demands. I can’t imagine a four-hour strike doing a union the slightest bit of good. Maybe some day, someone can explain it to me, but in Italy, these things happen all the time. Frankly, it’s the main reason I tend to avoid Alitalia: you never know when your flight will be canceled by a surprise one-day strike.

We got back from a nearly three-week trip to Italy about a week ago, during which time we encountered two strikes. The first was a strike of the public boat service in Lago Maggiore. This cost us a bit of money, since we had to take a private taxi to get to our hotel, which was on an island.

The second was a four-hour transit strike in Milan, which also cost us money, since we took a taxi to the Duomo, instead of going by subway. I read about that one in a newspaper the day before. The strikes tend to be announced in advance.

I don't know if, or how often, there are train strikes. Even when there are strikes, certain critical services tend to be kept running.

It's just a minor annoyance one has to deal with in Italy, but it seldom turns out to be a big deal.

- Larry
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

grazie!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Here's some more info on strikes in Italy. They are so common, that there are web pages that index them (but, of course, the pages are in Italian). See, for instance:

http://www.commissionegaranziasciope...ciop_provv.htm
A click on the lower-right button, "Scioperi nazionale", will show all National strikes. For instance, as of today, June 16, 2006, we can see that there will be a strike of the State Rail System (Sector: "Trasporto Ferroviario", Business: "Ferrovie dello Stato&quot that will last 24 hours, starting at 21:00 (9:00pm) on June 20th ("24 ore dalle 21.00 del 20/6&quot.

On July 21, 2006, the Alitalia Pilot's Union will strike for 4 hours, from 10am to 2 pm. I don't know what this means for planes in the air at the time.

This recalls a recent joke story in The Onion, "133 Dead as Delta Cancels Flight in Midair":

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42594

Here's another strike announcement site, also in Italian:

http://www.kataweb.it/utility/sciopero/frameset.html

So I guess we can strike the word "unpredictable" from the original post - these strikes are perfectly predictable. Indeed, they're usually announced well in advance. I've also heard that sometimes, the pre-announced strikes are called off at the last minute.

If anyone knows of similar announcements in English, I'm sure they would be appreciated by all.

- Larry

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM

I not sure about any English language websites that show strikes in Italy although I think I have some bookmarked.

The Italian law is that strikes have to be announced in advance. And often the strikes are cancelled. And even when there are train/bus strikes often certain train/busses that are on strike do operate during the commute hours. And the strikes only last so many hours. If you are staying at a hotel your hotel can probably advise you about any strike information. If you are staying in an apartment then do get a newspaper, or ask at a few cafes etc.

Regarding airline strikes, Alitalia, the air controllers etc., check with your airline.

It is a pain in the neck IMO.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

your diligent research is much appreciated!