Air Plus Comet to Madrid; any comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am exploring flight options JFK-Madrid, including Air Plus Comet. While their prices and schedules are great, I've read mixed reviews about their service. Would you share your thoughts on this?
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Few things I've found:

1. JFK-MAD is twice a week. If you need to change a date, or if one of their planes break down, you may have a harder time rescheduling than if you fly a major carrier.

2. Their three A310s range from 14 to 18 years in age.

3. From the photos I've seen, they are one of few airlines in the world that put 3-3-3 seating on an Airbus. So, expect very narrow seats.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM

If you haven't already, take a look here:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/airpluscomet.htm
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your views. Dukey-- I got a chance to read the comments and they are, on Aaverage, dismal. Still on the fence on this one, more inclined to pass than not....
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Viajero2,
My only experience was on their flight two years ago from Madrid to Paris. I needed to fly into CDG and bought a Europebyair voucher for 99$, a good deal at the time. The Air Plus Comet flight I took had begun its journey in Buenos Aires (it was actually an Aerolíneas Argentinas plane) with a stopover in Madrid.

It took off and landed on time, and the flight attendents were snappily dressed and pleasant, and they served a cont. brk. I sat next two 2 Argentinian ladies who had begun their trip in Buenos Aires and had flown that route previously (and survived!).
There was no in-flight entertainment, not even an airline magazine in the seat pocket. Nothing. There was a fairly large business class section in the Airbus that only had a couple of passengers in it. It was a bit bizarre. While I didn't mind 1 1/2 hrs., I don't know that I would fly transatlantic with them.
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I flew them last year from Rome-Madrid.

My flight was a little late leaving but they kept us informed (in Italian, Spanish and English). The plane was clean, the meal or snack, uhhh, don't remember but the wine was fine, the flight attendents, agree, "snappily" dressed and nice enough, and most of the passengers were connecting on to South America.

I had never heard of them but my friend in Madrid found the ticket for me, so I looked at their website and decided I would try them.

Transatlantic, though, I would definitely do what you are doing -- researching them!
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Good input, appreciate all feedback/comments.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM

OK..so what and how much more is the cost of any reasonable alternative(s)?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

?

Dukey-- are you asking about a price comparison and if I have a cost threshold? Just to be clear, cost is an incentive, but obvioulsy is not IT for me. If it was, I would had bought the tkt already. For what I read, I am not comfortable "jumping the puddle" with them...
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:29 PM

The reason I asked is your initial declaration that "their prices and schedules are great" so I figured those were two important factors for you.

Every airline can provide good or bad service depending upon whose experience one is speaking of. Every airline can arrive early or late. I, personally, would be as much concerned about an airline's safety record as anything else and to some lesser extent the degree pof comofrt they offer. Nothing worse than being in a REALLY cramped airline cabin for 8+ hours.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Viajero 2,
Don' know when you;re planning to travel, but I just purchased a ticket for myself, nonstop PHL-MAD on US Air for a base fare of $498, total of $559 in mid-Nov.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Make that "don't know".
My departure date is Nov. 6. Prices on USAir are that good from PHL until around Thanksgiving, when they rise. Then they go down after Xmas.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Maribel-- I plan to travel the first week of June. The average price for that period is in the upper $800's/pp from the Northeast USA. Really appreciate the heads-up anyway. I've been to Seville many times in Nov with family and it is close to perfect, IMHO. Have the best time!

Dukey-- price and schedule are importatnt factors. Again, they are not IT for me, otherwise I would had bought the tckt already. I am asking for input in service, which to me includes the safety aspects of transantlantic service.