Reload this Page >

Air France Inter-Europe Flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Sandy

We will be taking an Air France inter-Europe round trip flight during our upcoming August holiday. I've heard that their baggage allowance is: 22 lbs. carry-on and 50 lbs. checked. How closely do they adhere to their allowance? We have a 22" carry-on each, will they require us to check our carry-ons? I would love to hear from those that experienced this first hand. Thanks... Sandy

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Therese

A lot of the inter Europe planes are fairly small, and the large overhead bins may not be available. I travel with a rolling carry-on and they've generally checked it right there at the gate (basically just chucking it in the hold as we were boarding the plane, sort of like when you travel by bus). No worries that the bag had been lost as I saw it go on the plane.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Wendy

Sandy,<BR><BR>Our experience has been that they DO adhere very tightly to the allowance, especially on inter-European flights. I would call ahead to Air France and ask about this before you have a problem at the gate! Good luck.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Christina

They adhere to them tightly on international flights, also. They won't let me take that size suitcase as a carryon, I don't think it passes size limits, but it wouldn't if that's the weight, either -- I've never tried to push it as I have a small carryon with valuables, camera, books, etc, and they won't allow more than one carryon any more, anyway, so that would also rule out the suitcase. <BR><BR>It's possible you might be able to (but I wouldn't count on it) if you really have no other carryon at all (except a SMALL purse or something) and it is packed so slightly that the sides do not bulge at all. I've taken several AF inter-European flights and they didn't have those real small 24-seat planes, depends on where you're going (a lot of them are code-sharing rather than AF to other countries, such as LOT or Czech Airlines).<BR><BR>As far as checked, I checked a suitcase larger than that a few months ago (25") and had no problem at all, I'd never even heard of those limits. I don't know what mine weighed, however, it only had clothes and shoes in it (actually, a few books, also).

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Joe

The weight limit on international flights from US is 70 pounds/bag.<BR>Does that mean if my wife and I have two 40lb bags on Airfrance to Europe with a connection with one of their interEurope Flights,our luggage won't go to our final distination?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Christina

Joe, I don't understand your question -- if your bag is only 40 lbs, it will fit within the limit quoted in Sandy's first post, anyway, so why are you concerned? YOu and your wife are two different people, you aren't thinking a weight limit applies to a married couple together, are you? I'm sure I've had a bag of 40 lbs transfer through on Air France, as I just said I had a suitcase that was 25" so it must have weighed that much, don't you think? That one transferred through to Prague on an AF/CSA codeshare. I've also had a very densely packed 22" transfer through solely on AF from Paris to Marseille and Nice. <BR><BR>Anyway, I just read their allowances and they said 26 lbs carryon and 70 lbs checked (from US), I don't know where Sandy got her info from. I also read it from the French side, as if I were a French resident, and it doesn't say anything about strict limits that I can see, just advises you to travel lightly and that you must advise them ahead of time if you want to have anything heavier than 32 kg (about 70#) as a single unit, or something weird like a surfboard or bicycle.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Sandy

We will be flying Air France on an Airbus A320 which doesn't seem very small... 159 seats. I hope the overhead bins are large enough to hold each of our 22" rollies because we will each be checking a larger piece of luggage. If there isn't room in the plane for the rollies and they store them last minute, does that mean we won't be charged anything additional?<BR>And Joe... the baggage allowance we must adhere to is for "Inter-Europe" flights. Baggage allowance for flights originating in the U.S. are different.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Sandy

Bump...