Search

Air Fare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Fare

As many Ireland regulars know, we're going to be going to Ireland in June for our daughter's wedding. We got e-mails the other day announcing Aer Lingus's spring/summer sales. And the prices seem pretty good.

The last time I went I flew American Airlines and got a really good price about two months prior to departure. So I'm wondering whether we should jump on these Aer Lingus prices or wait and see whether fares go down.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM

For a wedding, you might as well book it now, so you have one fewer thing to worry about.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Probably very good advice, Ray. With all of the other expenses right now, I'd hate to book now and later realize that, between DH, DS and myself we could have saved a couple of hundred on tickets by waiting. But the timing of buying tickets seems to be such a gamble. We could just as easily lose money by not buying now.

How are you feeling? I hope you've recovered from your recent health problems.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:37 PM

Thanks! I'm recovering well. And I'm incorporating travel into my recovery. This past week, I've ventured out of Los Angeles to Santa Monica (by bus) and Long Beach (by subway). I just pricelined a Sheraton in San Diego for an overnight trip (by train). And I'm thinking about Hawaii the following week.

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:50 AM

This is a no brainer-- prices are good for the dates you need (....not want, NEED). Buy the tickets. Waiting till two months prior to buy tickets to a daughter's wedding sounds like asking for trouble (unnecessarily....). Aer Lingus is the National Irish airline with great facilities at every airport in Ireland; beats AA anyday.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Hi-
We just booked for June and the price was the same as when we went in 2006.

But-I did see on another site the sale is limited to only a certian number of seats and ends JAN 21.

So I would book now and not check to see if the price goes down.
Susan
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM

CAPH52

If the last time you went was off season then that may have been why you got a good price two months prior.

We had a similar situation with our son getting married two years ago and family flying into NYC from all over. Once I found flights for our immediate family and what I considered a good price I booked and didn't look back.

At the same time I booked our hotel reservations.

Poster Viajeroz hit the nail on the head prices are good for the dates you need, not want.

Sandy
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Ray! Sounds like you're doing very well! Enjoy those trips!

Thanks, Viajero, njsusan and Sandy. I think we will go ahead and jump on it.

Viajero, I flew Aer Lingus to Ireland in '82 and from Dublin to Paris in '07. I agree that it trumps AA in many ways. However, several years ago my brother and SIL got caught by an Aer Lingus strike that started the day before they were due to fly. And they were threatening to strike when we flew to Paris. So, even though we will go Aer Lingus, I can't help being a bit nervous about last minute strikes.

Thanks for the info on the sale, Susan! I'll pass that along to all concerned.

You're right, Sandy, it was off season the last time I went.

I'm also a little concerned about locking in dates this early as we'd planned to extend the trip a bit beyond the wedding. But it looks like now is the time!

Again, thanks to all of you!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Tickets are booked. Even the brother who was burned by the Aer Lingus strike a few years ago went ahead and booked 'cause he thinks it's such a good fare!

Thanks again for the advice.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:29 PM

CAPH42:

Well done!

Would love for you to do a trip report after the wedding.

Sandy
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM

I had an email from Aer Lingus and I was amazed at the prices - very good for June. Then Travelocity had some of the same prices.

Maybe there is hope that some of the other airline prices will be coming down.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 04:10 AM

I am glad we have booked, our flight has gone up $80.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandy. I will.

I'm sure that does make you feel good, Susan!

I suspect AA may come down from where they are now, Brats. But I'm glad we have our tickets.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:05 PM

CAPH52 --

Congrats on the daughter's upcoming wedding.

If it makes you feel any better about the airfare, my wife and I also took advantage of the Aer Lingus sale. Our June tix (with connecting flights In/Out of Florida on Jet Blue) came to $769.23 each. The next cheapest that we've scored, in June, was $930 each -- in June of 2000!!!

As to Aer Lingus, enjoy a last fling on the 'auld girl', as it appears that Ryan Air is about to buy up the company, so it's doubtless only a matter of time before we'll all longingly remember the 'Good Old Days' of Aer Lingus service!

Bob
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob! For the congrats and the reassurance on the airfare. The more I hear, the more convinced I am that we got a good deal.

As I mentioned earlier, the very fact that my brother, who'd been burned by an Aer Lingus strike a few years back, jumped on these prices was a pretty good indication that they must be pretty good!

I agree with you that a buyout by Ryannair probably doesn't bode well for service levels. We are planning to take advantage of Ryannair's prices to fly to Barcelona for a few days after the wedding. But it's one thing to use them for short hops, another if they're our best choice for the transatlantic flight. Maybe AA's cramped planes won't look so bad in comparison!

Wishing you a great trip in June!

I hope the weather cooperates for all of us. Especially as the plan is for the reception to be held in our SIL's parents' backyard! They are renting a tent!