Air arrangements - what a nightmare!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to make arrangements to fly from Newark, NJ ( or even from JFK) to Dubrovnik, then home from Trieste in Sept. It would be great if I could use miles from either Delta or Continental for either a free business class ticket or to upgrade to business. It seems that it is a huge problem trying to make this itinerary. I don't want to have to connect more than once. Can anyone recommend an airline that has this route? My travel agent is tearing her hair out!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Lolo12:

Continental seems to be your best bet:

CO 114 Newark-London Gatwick
BA 2882 London Gatwick-Dubrovnik and

CO 6229 Trieste-Rome Fiumicino (operated by Alitalia)
CO 41 Rome Fiumicino-Newark

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Phil

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Trieste has very few connections. Have you considered Venice instead?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Ryanair flies TRS to Stansted..sooner you book the cheaper it is.

If you can meet the checked luggage restrictions...I know it means a trip from Stansted to LGW to make a return Continental flight unless you want to fly on maxjet.com out of JFK in their new all-business class flights to Stansted.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Could you live with Split instead of DBV for your entry point? (Then bus or ferry or...?) If so, then you could do it all on Alitalia/CO/DL/Skyteam miles.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Like Gardyloo says, no Skyteam airline seem to fly to Dubrovnik (DBV). You can however fly non-stop to Rome (FCO) or Paris (CDG) on CO/DL/AF/AZ, and then fly Croatian Airlines, or the above London connection.

Alitalia flies from Trieste (TRS) to FCO or MXP, allowing you to connect back to NYC on AZ/CO/DL. Or head to Venice and fly DL.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
LJ

As an aside, don't let any degree of supposed inconvenience talk you out of that stop in Trieste. After many trips to Italy spanning 10 years and then an entire year living there, we finally got around to visiting Trieste. Absolutely fascinating! Read Jan Morris' book on the city before you go, if that wasn't what inspired you in the first place.We are already planning my husband's big 50 birthday trip around the city/region for 2007.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:45 PM

If you've not done so already, try this itinerary (and variations thereof) on itasoftware.com

If you find something that works for you, you can get the booking details and e-mail them to your travel agent.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Phil - I think this itinerary looks to be the best. Now - to see if I can use the miles for an upgrade or free ticket. Unfortunately, the BA leg won't qualify.
LJ- Yes, I read Jan Morris' book and decided we would visit Trieste when we could. This trip to Croatia/Slovenia seems like the perfect time. We plan on spending 3 days in Triest before we return home.
Gardyloo - We will be visiting Split after Dubvrovnik, so I'd rather not go there first. Then it's a hassle to get to Dubrovnik.
Intrepid1 - Where is Stansted?
Lesli - Thanks for the info - I'll try it.

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM
LJ

IMHO, two things worth doing while in the vicinity of Trieste are 1) take the funicular from Piazza Oberdan up to Villa Opicina...lovely vistas, fascinating trip and there is a tiny Osteria on the main street with an door cafe that serves wonderful food, typical of the region-that strange blend of Slovak-German-Italian flavours that works so well and 2) go to Muggia, stroll around and experience it with Morris's book in your mind and then savour the seafood in the restaurant she speaks of meeting the mayor in...amazing fish and excellent wine.

Great city...I do envy you your trip!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

It is finalized!!! I fly from Newark to Gatwick on Continental, then connect on British Air to Dubrovnik. Coming home I take the train from Trieste to Venice, then fly British Air to Gatwick and then Continental home. I am using Continental miles for a free business-class ticket, but have to pay for the British Air part. It took some doing and a slight change of plans, but at least it's over. Now all I have to do is look forward to it!!!1
Thanks everyone for your help.