Search

Agiassos or Plomari as a base or both with S.Eresou

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agiassos or Plomari as a base or both with S.Eresou

Hi !
In my plan to visit Lesvos in July and the beginning of August 2024, I had intended to spend several days in Molyvos. However, I'm unsure whether I should choose Agiassos or Plomari for 3 or 4 days, as it's possible to reach either from one of them. If both places are worthy bases on their own, I'll split my time between both. On the other hand, Skala Eressou, located in the western part of the island with Sigri and Antissa, appears to be worth a visit, at least for a day excursion. Some travelers have mentioned that this resort has a bohemian atmosphere.

Examining the photos, I observe a series of cafes and taverns along a beautiful beach. However, I wonder if that alone is sufficient to keep a traveler occupied for 3 or 4 days. Your insights will be greatly appreciated as I plan to spend no less than 13 days in Lesbos.
T Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Agiasos and Plomari or both with Skala Eressou?

Hi All body!
Any answer to this post.Since I am going to book accomodations , I need to have an advice about to choose between Skala Eressou and Agiassos.I have seen series of taverna's and cafés along the beach but no other things to do or to visit in this place ,unless you visit Sigri and Antissa.In the other side , Agiasos has been unanimously recognized as a very beautiful traditional Greek village. This is my dilemma.
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 06:13 AM

I split my time between Petra in the North and Agiasos in the south as they were perfect to use as a base to explore the north and south of the island.

I stayed in Agiasos for 5 nights and found it to be one of the nicest towns I've been to in my trips to Greece.

Surprisingly large in area but felt like a small village.

Beautiful architecture with the village cascading down a hillside. Lots of uphill walking and many side lanes to check out.

Numerous shops, markets and tavernas so plenty of services.

Not as many accommodations as one would think but found a perfect Airbnb apartment in the heart of the village.

I would recommend it as it's one of the nicest villages on the island and still very Greek.

Old Feb 16th, 2024, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Crazyh for your response, which confirmed my intuition about this village and encouraged me to book an Airbnb in the center. May I ask how you divided the five days you spent in Agiasos? Did you stay there all five days, or did you visit other places in the area as Plomari?

If you did, is it worth visiting and deserving of spending a day or two there, or is a day trip from Agiasos sufficient?
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ksiba
Thank you, Crazyh for your response, which confirmed my intuition about this village and encouraged me to book an Airbnb in the center. May I ask how you divided the five days you spent in Agiasos? Did you stay there all five days, or did you visit other places in the area as Plomari?

If you did, is it worth visiting and deserving of spending a day or two there, or is a day trip from Agiasos sufficient?
I did day trips from Agiasos including Plomari and most of the southern part of the island.

The first day in Agiasos I spend a lot of time wandering around as it's much larger than you think. Lots of steep lanes, narrow streets, pretty architecture and a good number of shops, markets and tavernas.

It was a perfect base to explore that part of Lesvos.

You can spend a hour or two wandering around Plomari and see most of it.

Roads are good, not much traffic when I went there and distances weren't too far to travel.

Plomari would be an option if you want something on the water and I considered it before feeling Agiasos would suit me better.

Either would be a good base for that part of Lesvos.

Old Feb 17th, 2024, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Crazyh, for this additional information about Agiasos and Plomari.
Apparently, Plomari did not leave you with an unforgettable memory.
Concerning Agiasos, would your viewpoint be the same about it if it were in August, as it is in my case?
However ,given its location in a mountainous area, it is possible that it will be cooler there than elsewhere, especially in the evenings.
Were you traveling by car or using public transportation?
I've read that there's a scenic but dirty road between Agiasos and Plomari. Is this road still rough when you have been there?
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 05:47 AM

I found Plomari to be a nice place to visit or stay.

In fact I got some good prices from a few accommodations but in the end Agiasos was a better fit for me and more centrally located in that part of Lesvos.

I can't tell you what it's like for August but since it's the height of tourist season I would assume there would be far more tourists than in October when it was mostly locals I encountered in Agiasos and elsewhere.

Still, Lesvos doesn't get the hype of Big Name Islands so you may find it OK for August.

The road between Agiasos and Plomari was fine and it didn't strike me as dirty. Most of the roads in Lesvos were in good condition and safe.

I rented a car as in most cases it's the best way to explore anywhere in Greece especially if you are interested in the more out of the way and traditional areas.
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

I am finishing up Crazy ,since I have taken up a lot of your time already.

1)- I would like to ask you about the places to visit around Agiasos a part of Plomari for a 5-day period.

2)- Can be boring to returning to stay 5 days s in a small village like Agiasos?

3)-I would appreciate your recommendations on my itinerary:
After a 5-night stay in Molyvos, I have 7 nights remaining.

An option could be as follows:

- 1 night in Skala Eressou
- 2 nights in Agiassos
- 2 nights in Plomari
- 2 nights in Mytilene

Based on your opinion and personal experience, how would you organize these 7 nights? I am open to any suggestions you can give me.

-4)Lastly, do you have thought about taking the ferry from Mitylini to visit Ayvalik and Cunda (Alibey island) in Turkey for one or two days?

Last edited by Ksiba; Feb 18th, 2024 at 12:04 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 05:27 AM

Agiasos is not a small village. In fact it's very large and larger than you think.

It's spread out all over a side of a hill and on top of it.

There are numerous areas to explore so you'll have plenty of options there to enjoy a stay of 5 or more days.

As far as the rest of your itinerary I don't think it's wise to move around so much just to spend 1 or 2 nights at a location.

Pick one as a base that's central to what you want to see, do and experience.

I did spend 2 nights in Mytilene at the end of my stay on the island mostly to be near the airport to return to Athens.

Mytilene is very large and lots to do there including archeological/historic sites.

I can't help with a ferry to Turkey since I have no knowledge about that.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Crazyh for the recommendation.
I decided to spend 3 days in Agiassos since they don't have availability for more days.Tge other days between Plomarinand Mitylini.
Ccould you please suggest me an accomodation near the airport since I have early flight to Athens.
Thank you.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 05:16 AM

Did you try AirBnb for accommodations in Agiasos?

I stayed here and it was wonderful:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12385707

In Mytilene I stayed at Porto Lesvos Hotel on a side street. Nice, basic, clean and safe. I booked a taxi to get to the airport.

There are numerous other options but the only one I can help with is Porto Lesvos.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the Airbnb of Toula is fully booked during August.
Porto Lesvos hotel seems good and I will check it.Thank you to recommend it and for all the information, clarifications and suggestions you provided in response to my questions.
Thank you again.