Vacation Planning Sicily

Search

Vacation Planning Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2024, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacation Planning Sicily

Hello, We are trying very hard to get a vacation to Sicily planned. Have read too much. Am drowning in info. We plan come into Palermo 3 nights. Then Agrigento, one night. Onward to Piazza Armerina and mosaics. After seeing this ..onward to Ragusa for 2 nites. What town, would u reccomend as base, please ? Then 3 nites Siracusa and Ortigta. Then possibly Catina, couple night. Husband much interested in winery tasting of Etna wines. Work in progress here, followed up by Ceffau 2 nites then back to airport and home. Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 09:52 AM
J62

Perhaps you could tell us what it is you are actually trying to accomplish. From the looks of things it seems like you're trying to check off as many places you can in a limited amount of time. I count 7 or 8 different places to stay over roughly a two week period. That kind of trip sounds exhausting to me.

My suggestion is cut the number of places in half and spend more time enjoying where are you are rather than rushing off to the next place.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 10:28 AM

I would suggest seeing Cefalu as a day trip from Palermo, and eliminate the drive there from Catania. It is easy to take the train, a short ride from Palermo.

It seems you are flying in and out of Palermo...Are you coming in on an international flight, and what time of year? Two weeks is enough time to see plenty, so a lot of it is a matter of preference. The choices you have made are good ones, imo, but your itinerary just needs a little more organizing. Ragusa is a fine enough base to see Modica and Ragusa itself, and even take a drive down to the beach area if that interests you. Are you renting a car, or depending on public transportation?

I personally did not find Catania an attractive city but some seem to like it. I do love Taormina for the Greek/Roman theatre, and the beautiful views of the sea and of Etna. A daytrip there would make one despise the place though. The mornings and evenings are pleasant there without the crowds. And it is mandatory to get up early to see the theatre before the tour groups arrive. However, these days, it is apparently very expensive to stay in Taormina.

Last edited by natylou; Feb 19th, 2024 at 10:38 AM.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car and international flight that starts in Palermo, very early and arrives on East Coast at decent time. Thank u both for observations and imput. Have looked t dozen of itineraries and we have thinned things down. Things to think about …
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 07:41 AM

When in Palermo or leaving the city, do not miss Monreale

and on your way to Agrigento try to figure out a way of seeing Segesta

Old Feb 20th, 2024, 08:35 AM

Sailingmargo, do you have an idea of what you want to see in Palermo? Going to Monreale will take half a day but worth it.

So Palermo 3 nights
If you stay 4 nights in Palermo, you could take one day to see Cefalu.
Drive to Agrigento, find your hotel, I suggest Colleverde Park Hotel. Drop bags.
See the temples, which takes about 3 hours or so.
The archaeological museum is well worth the time, and gives context to the temple area.
Stay Agrigento 1 night
If you give 2 nights to Agrigento, then you would have time to stop and see the temple at Segesta.
Drive to Piazza Armerina, Stay 1 night.
Get up early (before busloads of school children and tourists arrive) to see the mosaics at the Villa Romana del Casale.
Drive to Ragusa Stay 3 nights.
This will give you 2 days to explore Ragusa and Modica and the area by car.
Drive to Siracuse, stay 3 nights.
Use the car park at the entrance of Ortigia, unless your hotel has parking. Stay on the island of Ortigia to enjoy its atmosphere.
Use one day to check out Noto if you desire.
Make a list of what to see in Siracuse. I believe you could easily use 4 nights (3 days) here.
Drive to Catania. Make sure your hotel has parking. Stay 2 nights. Or just stay in Siracuse and do a bus trip for a day to Catania.
Drive back to Palermo, drop car. Stay 1 night before your flight home.

Try to map out the time you will need to travel and get settled in each new place. I think these two overnights are doable if you have longer stays in other places. Many people do an overnight in Agrigento, but I would find it too rushed myself. We like to take advantage of having a car and explore the area a little bit instead of just hitting the tourist attractions and zooming on to the next. But it's up to you, you know your travel style.

Also you know exactly how many nights you have, so you need to adjust accordingly.

Old Feb 20th, 2024, 09:28 AM

if you fly home from PMO, I would enter Sicily at CTA.
That gives:
CTA - Taormina and back.
CTA - Siracusa - Noto/Modica/Ragusa - Agrigento - Piazza Armerina/Casale - Palermo/Monreale/Cefalu.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank u very much for ur time … we are evaluating all. This site wonderful.