Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Missing Sicily posts? In need of Sicily Info.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Ang

I just did a search on Sicily and there are no posts between 8/22-9/9, and I know I posted around 9/6. Besides spending a half hour scrolling back, (and hoping the are there) is there anyway to get these posts? My question was very basic- looking for any and all info on Sicily hotels (economical ones), good beaches, restaurants, things to do, etc. I am looking to go in June 2003 from NYC, and have noticed on Orbitz that airfare is around $1070. Is the airfare from the east coast to Sicily usually this expensive?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Ang

I needed to add that I would like to stay in hotels that have views of the water, and are near nice beaches. Are beaches in Sicily rocky, sandy, or there are some of both? I probably would spend about 9 days, a few days in a city and the rest by the sea. Any ideas for itinerary?

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Maria

There was something wrong with the system between those dates and nothing got posted toward the scroll.<BR><BR>I just got back from Sicily 2 weeks ago. Must see beaches that I went to are Taormina and Cefalu. In Taormina our hotel was very expensive - San Domenico Palace - but nearby there is a less expensive Villa Schular that had a nice view and was near the main road. Many people on this post also recommended Villa Belevedere. <BR><BR>In Cefalu were stayed at Hotel Kalura because we went to a wedding there so we stayed there overnight. The grounds were beautiful with a private beach - not much sand - but rocks. We paid only 160 for a room for 2 adults and 2 children. The rooms are just OK - nothing like the other hotel we stayed in in Taormina but then again it was only 160. A room for 2 I would guess would be around 130. <BR><BR>The airfare of $1070 seems right. We flew Continental to Rome and then took Luftansa to Palermo. That's about what we paid. You won't do much better than that. Have fun!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Mark

Hi Ang,<BR>I loved Taormina. I am not a beach person so I didn't pay much attention to the beaches but they seemed very popular with most visitors. We stayed at the Villa Ducale way out of the center of town on the border of the the next hill town, Castelmola. The view of Aetna was superb as was the buffet breakfast but the room we had was particularly small. If you like to walk or hike the walk up to Castelmola is a good one. You can see foever; the Greek theatre below in Taormina and Aetna off in the distance. The square in Castelmola is small and lovely and you will get the best lemoncello, in frosted glasses, at the Bar Giorgio while you admire the view. Agrigento's ruins are impressive but there are lots of tourists and buses at certain times. On the other side of the island Erice is a very special village high up in the clouds (wonderful views) The Aeolian Islands off of Sicily might be a good destination for a beach lover. Although Lipari were I visited intrigued me for its walking. I seem to remember the beaches being peebly there. Each of the Aeolians are different so you may want to research them. The people in Sicily were lovely (although I did not visit the large cities like Palermo) and the food was excellent with very fresh and delicious produce and fish. Have a great time!<BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Mark

PS: Aetna is better viewed from a distance. No need to go up there.