Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Time to allow for Jamestown (both sites) and Yorktown (both sites)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5- 2 adults, 3 boys- 15, 5, 3, traveling the week after Easter.

I'm thinking that 4 hours for both Jamestown sites (Settlement and Historic Jamestowne) will be enough. I'm also thinking of doing a total of 4 hours at Yorktown (both battlefield and Victory Center) will be plentry and perhaps even less than that. Looking for some been there, done that experiences.

Additionally, we plan to bring picnic lunches. Are there places to eat them at these sites?
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:51 PM

Since I'm an absolute history buff, I was easily able to spend over four hours just at Historic Jamestowne -- I was absolutely FASCINATED by the recent finding of over a million artifacts from the original settlement. It's mind-blowing that the original fort hadn't been lost -- it was just misplaced!!

I haven't visited Jamestown Settlement, it was 1976 when I visited the Yorktown Victory Center, and I rushed through the Yorktown battle sites; so I really can't give any ideas on these. But I still think Jamestown deserves an entire day on its own.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 03:24 AM

With kids the ages of yours, I think the times are ok. They are interesting sites, but not much to engage the average 3yo for too long. Let the little one run a bit here and there.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the times are OK; your two youngest ones will lose interest quickly. Jamestown has more hands-on activities; even then, school trips are usually saved for Grades 4 and 5 students.

There are a few picnic tables at either end of the Jamestown Visitor Center parking lot, and a few near Yorktown, as well. Keep in mind that you can not picnic on the battlefield, as tempting as it might be to let the young ones run about while you have lunch.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks- my husband and I are huge history buffs, but we've also learned not to push the little ones beyond their limits. I appreciate the help!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure you drive the Colonial Parkway on your way to or from Yorktown and Jamestown. If you are lucky, there will be a naval ship berthed at the weapons station. Boys always seem to be fascinated by big ships.

There is a nice picnic area by the beach in Yorktown. It's at the end of the beach. The Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlor is nearby. I imagine this could be a good thing...or not.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Birdie- those are great tips!
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

We ran out of time to go to Jamestown Settlement. Enjoyed just over an hour at Historic Jamestowne and caught the first part of the living history tour until the litte ones got too bored. We did not look at artifacts.

We thought Yorktown Victory Center was ok and spent 1.5 horus there, but spent 2.5 hours at Yorktown Battlefield. The difference was an INCREDIBLE outdoor tour/talk given by Mac, a park ranger. He made the history come alive and I liked that it was outdoors, so the little ones could climb on the cannons, run the the fortifications and more while we could still listen in on the talk.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for checking back in, gidgetgirl. We love to get feedback. I haven't done a tour at the battlefield; I'll have to do it sometime.