age of tour goers?

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:17 AM
hottotravel

age of tour goers?

We are taking a tour of Italy this fall. We've decided to go the tour route as this is our first trip to Europe. To all of you that have taken escourted tours, curious of the average age of travelers and which tour company you used. Ideally there would be a good mix of ages. Please don't tell me not to use a tour company, as that decision is made.

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:31 AM
Laura

When I was 20 I took a guided tour trip to Europe with my mom and grandmother (present from grandmother who planned it all in advance). I was the youngest person and my mother (50 years old then) was the 2nd youngest. I felt really out of place. I have no idea what the name of the company was, sorry. I would not expect a good variety of ages- that's just my personal experience. Best of luck.

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:36 AM
Laurina

My husband and I did a perillo tour to Italy a few years ago. We were 30 years old. Most of the tour group was in their 60-70's. We did not feel out of place at all! We've made some great friendships there and still keep in touch. Have a great time and keep an open mind!

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:48 AM
Joan

Hey, we 60-70 year olds can be fun! I have done extensive travel on my own in Europe; however, at this age it is nice to have someone else take care of your luggage and other arrangements. I am thoroughly aware of all of the downsides as well; nevertheless I have signed up for a Tauck tour of Italy in September. I would be interested in knowing whether anyone else has taken this tour and their comments.

Jun 21st, 2002, 12:08 PM
carol

I'm in my 50's not my 20's, but I've heard from many folks that the walking/hiking/bicycling tours--Butterfield & Robinson et al, attract younger people in their 20's and 30's.

Jun 21st, 2002, 12:10 PM
terri

I took a globus-gateway tour of England a few years ago when I was 37. I expected older people but was pleasantly surprised at the mix. Had a mother in her fifties with daugther twenty-two, a med student in his twenties, another single lady, late thirties, a couple of girls travelling together early thirties, and yes, the rest were older 60+ couples. There are some tours that cater to younger people, under 35. I think the more expensive the tour, the more likely you are to have just older people. Don't let people give you a hard time about tours, they can be the right choice especially first-timers.

Jun 21st, 2002, 12:16 PM
Mel

I took a Trafalgar tour in 1992 (with my sister). There was a really good mix of ages, but all were married couples except for my sister and I, two guys just out of college, two girls in college and a mother/daughter. The group was fine and, in fact, full of nice, friendly people. Getting up and packed at 5:00 to be on buses by 7:00 a.m. every couple of days was a drag, but this was my introduction to Europe and it taught me that I can do it on my own, so it was worth it.

Have a great time!

Jun 21st, 2002, 12:44 PM
Sheila

I took a Goahead tour of Italy in 1999 with a friend (my husband will not go to Europe). The youngest couple was in their twenties. The average age of the group was 50 and mostly women some traveling together and some alone. There were 3 or 4 older couples (maybe sixties) in the group. Very enjoyable tour, great guide and plenty of free time on our own. It was a great introduction to Italy for me.

Jun 21st, 2002, 02:11 PM
roco

My husband and I, too, have signed up for an Italy tour the first week of November. Is there any chance that you are going on the Tuscany trip put on by Premier tours??? We have never been to Europe, and I truly know this is the way to go THIS time.

Jun 21st, 2002, 02:24 PM
Carmenr

My husband 46, my daughter 22, my son 21 and I, 46 did Trafalgar Tour's Simply Italy a few years ago.(Rome, Venice, Florence) As the only family on the tour, we were treated so nicely (first ones assigned to rooms, etc.) Our children were the youngest on board but we all had a fabulous time in Italy. Our tour guide kept an eye out for our two and we will never forget that trip. Would repeat it again anytime.

Jun 21st, 2002, 03:03 PM
traveler

I've taken Globus tours several times. The breakdown was approximately 75% over 55, 20% 30-55, 5% under 30.

Jun 21st, 2002, 03:12 PM
Cindy

Bear in mind that it isn't age that sets the tone of the tour but ability and agility. When you get to a destination you break up into groups. No local guide wants to be stuck with a group of feeble people so the groups have to be mixed up with those who are agile and those who use walkers. Eventually the walkers get tired of wasting time waiting for the slow walkers and complain. That is how our last tour in France ended up, with sides being drawn almost. I asked our rep on board about this and she is the one that said local guides don't want to get stuck with the slow walkers or feeble people, I suppose less tips.
It made for an unpleasant trip, but we took one older woman under our 40-year-old wings and helped her up stairs, etc. and we were glad to do it because she was alot of fun.

Jun 21st, 2002, 04:11 PM
amy

We are mainly independent travellers;
however, for our biking/hiking vacations in Europe we always do group tours. Why? We're biking with kids, and biking companies offer routes and support systems that allow us a feeling of security as parents that we would never need as free-wheeling adults.

We have always enjoyed meeting the other people in the groups. Our "worst" trip became our "best" trip. The group was too large, the trip design was unwieldy, the company was going under, the guides were, to say the least, "in transition," and the guests ranged from age 8 to age 80. Somehow, we melded. That trip will always be our favorite.

Jun 21st, 2002, 04:31 PM
jb

I am 40 and my husband is 36. I have done a lot of research on the age thing and found that it really doesn't matter unless you are really young and are looking to party and meet other singles.

I am dying to go on a tour because although we have traveled a fair amount, we have always planned it ourselves and has, at times, been difficult: we've eaten some bad meals and spent days wandering aimlessly and missed some of the best sights. So I've convinced my husband that the next time we travel we are going to go on a Tauck tour - pretty expensive but I've never heard one bad thing about it - great itinerary, fabulous hotels and only the best food. So I don't care if everyone is 80, I want to have a great experience! Hopefully, we will get to go next Spring.

Jun 21st, 2002, 04:59 PM
Sue

I have taken two Maupintour tours to Europe - one to Switzerland and one to Great Britain. I was around 50 at the time. On both of those tours, the majority seemed to be about my age, mostly couples. Some were youngish retirees, a few older. I remember one rather young woman (in her 20's) who was a little out of place, traveling alone. I really enjoyed both these tours -Maupintour is very nice, upscale, and uses some well-known, pricey hotels, and limits the number of people (I think it was around 28).It is also expensive!

I have also done several Tauck tours in the U.S.and Canada,and they are great, so I'm sure they must be great in Europe too. They have bigger groups (40) and aren't quite as expensive as Maupintour. I would probably use them if I were doing another tour to Europe. However, I've been enjoying solo travel on my own for the past 4 years, and will continue to do that as long as I can manage my own suitcase, and alot of walking! Back to the tours later!

Jun 21st, 2002, 05:07 PM
suzanne

I've taken several small-group hiking tours with REI Adventures (to Crete, the Czech Republic and Thailand). All three had age ranges of late 20's to mid 50's. All very active, athletic people. I obviously loved the trips, because I keep taking them!

Jun 21st, 2002, 05:28 PM
Carol

I've taken several walking/hiking tours. The ages have ranged from early 30's to mid 70's. On most of thesse tours, early to mid 50's seemed to be the most common age.

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Eva

I had just turned 18 last summer when I took a Tauck tour of Spain. My 48 year old mother came along. We met lots of people, from 13 to 84. I didn't feel out of place, nor would I have if I were the youngest there. Being social by nature, I enjoyed dinners with people of all ages. The only people I didn't like were the ones who had bad attitudes. Enjoy the tour!