Age guidelines for hostels in Europe?

Oct 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Age guidelines for hostels in Europe?

I usually stay at mid-high priced properties in Europe so I never dealt with hostels.

This time I may want to stay in a hostel because my best friend's daughter and her friend will be in Istanbul during my stay. It's their first trip outside of US. My friend asked me if I could kinda "keep an eye on the 2". They are on a limited budget so they are looking at hostels. Some of the ones they told me about are not as bad as I thought. The 19 year old daugther considers me a part of the family, and has no problem with me joining them during the stay. In fact she was always jealous of all my travels and she wants me to show her the ropes, so to speak, on her first independent European trip.

What if any age restrictions apply to hostels? (I'm in my late 40s).

Like I said, I would be getting a single room so that's not a concern,

but would I feel out of place in most hostels?

or should I just look for a hotel near their hostel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oct 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM

I don't know anything about hostels in Istanbul, but very few hostels have an age limit. Even if they do, they might waive it because you are traveling with younger people.

Take a look at the reviews at hostelz.com and hostelworld.com and see if you can come up with a place that suits all of you.

But from what I've read, you can get pretty good hotel bargains in Istanbul, so maybe they'd like a double room at a hotel.

The basic difference between a hotel and a hostel is that hostels are more informal and sociable, and your room is unlikely to be equipped with toiletries like soap and shampoo. It will probably be undecorated as well. If you choose your hostel right, there's no need to suffer.
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM

That's my understanding, also, that few have actual age limits. France does not. However, I believe there are some countries that do -- I could be wrong, but I think Germany is one of those with a limit, if it is an official YHA hostel. Some hostels don't have single rooms, either.
Oct 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM

oh, if there are limits, believe me, you are over it (it is about 26).
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Official youth hostels in Bavaria used to have age limits, but I think they got rid of them, and even then, you would have been fine because of being with younger people. The only way to tell is to check out the hostels you are interested in.
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

The 2 or 3 hostels they told me about do have single rooms with private bathrooms and they don't mention anything about age limit.

I'm more worried about feeling out of place then anything else. If they tell me that I'm too old I will find nearby hotel so that's not a problem.

I'm not the girls dad or guardian. I will only be with them when they want me to accompany me. I will not interfere when and if they hang out with people of their own age. This is a business trip for me so I will be gone half of the time anyway, but I thought it could be fun as long as I don't feel like I don't belong...
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Lots of people nearly twice your age stay in hostels. You won't be the only "oldtimer."
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Adding to my previous post: If getting a good night's sleep is paramount, avoid hostels that have a reputation for beng "party places."
Oct 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Bookmarking