Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight at hotel near CDG due to strike Oct. 18 and the private luggage storage at CDG, then where to go for a week

Overnight at hotel near CDG due to strike Oct. 18 and the private luggage storage at CDG, then where to go for a week

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I am steadily getting ready for my big adventure. I am packing up my belongings, selling many at auction, and changing my life. I resigned both of my jobs
and leased my house for a year.

I am going to Paris on Oct. 17, leaving for 9 day tour in Morocco on Oct. 19. I pushed my date back to leave Atlanta from Oct. 14 to have a few more days after completing work to finish details.
Now I realize I am arriving in Paris to the strike. I would need to leave the airport on Oct. 18 and return the next to fly out to Morocco. Not good planning, but this has been so hectic in the final days I did not think of it when I changed my flight from Atlanta.

My thoughts now..book a hotel at CDG on hotwire for $115. Put one larger bag in storage at private facility in CDG. Take a small bag on the tour with me. I would grab an Air France bus and go into Paris for the day, nice dinner, walking etc and return on bus late evening. I could spend the next morning resting and getting prepared for flight to Morroco and tour. No worrying about getting to airport in time. Do you have a better plan???

Next, when I return from Morocco Oct. 28th I have about 2 weeks to go somewhere before my months apt. rental in Paris. I will stay several days in Paris at Hotel Cosmos and unwind from the tour. Then I will head out for about a week or 10 days. I have tried going to whichbudget and just looking for something cheap and spontaneous. I am at a loss, maybe I am overloaded. I would like to maybe go to Lucca, Florence, Cortona and Orvieto, Sienna and San Gim. do not want a rental car this time. Just too much added stress.
What other suggestions..I am completely open. I also plan several day trips during my month. One to Strausborg, Dijon for sure.

I tried to figure out only one bag for travel but the bag limits for the tour are very restrictive. So I think I will do a larger rolling duffle bag, a small rollabout and my carryon/purse combo. Store the duffle. Only deal with carryon during my outside trips.

Plase let me hear your suggestions. By the way for those that haven't read other posts. I am going back to Atlanta mid Dec. to see family for few days and then go to Maui for Christmas with other son. Then I start a travel RN assignment in Honolulu for 3 months. They provide housing. I am excited but cannot imagine not sleeping in my own bed for such a long time.

Thank you for any feedback, encouragement from you all.

gg

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM

If I'm not mistaken, RER-B is run by RATP, not SNCF. And the strike planned for 10/18 is only for SNCF. So, RER-B from CDG to Paris should still work. And there are also Air France Bus, Roissybus, as well as taxis and shuttles.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Between CDG and Gare du Nord the RER B is run by SNCF.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

I read the thread that had link to latest info and the RER will not be running at full load, 25% if I remember. I had planned to stay at Hotel Cosmos for the night and possibly leave one bag there since I will be returning there after Morocco. I just did not want to get stuck in a mess 2 days in a row leaving, returning to the airport. I have never been there during a strike and do not know what to expect.

Any suggestions about my other travel time. Nobody is even going to say good luck on your big adventure. I must be on the blacklist.LOL

Thanks,

gg
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM

check hotels on the easyjet.com and the ryanair.com websites. i was able to secure a very good rate, after being disappointed bidding for a priceline hotel for days.

i am not too choosey.. free airport shuttle to airport and train station.. and 45 euros/night. (2 star comfort inn)

of course i was hoping to get a 4* on priceline for $100 like i have in the past, but it didnīt work out that way.

beware of some three star hotel rated NEAR the airport. there is no shuttle, and the taxi can cost 60 euros and up according to someone who posted about this on a website.. so make sure whatever you get that it DOES have a free shuttle if you finally decide to stay at CDG one of the nights.

have a great trip.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM

The Sheraton in in CDG. Super convenient.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
All of the Accor hotels have a shuttle at CDG. www.accorhotels.com
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Hi ggnga,

A few weeks ago, I stayed at the Novotel CDG Terminal, which is linked to the airport by one of those automatic airport underground trains. I don't think it'll be affected by the strike. I paid 150E for a single.

I had been in Europe for about five weeks when I got there, staying mostly in cheap hotels and dives (some errors on my part and some disasters), so getting to a professional and clean and NICE hotel was a real balm to my soul. I really liked it and would recommend it.

Anyway, I think I remember that the hotel is between Terminals 2 & 3, and was ultra-convenient to get to for my flight in the am. If I were you, I would e-mail the hotel and ask for exact directions from the terminal where you arrive.

Now, the strike may affect you if you want to get to Paris and back in the meantime, but at least you'll be comfortable and convenient for your flights.

Good luck!

s
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi, After some research I found that there were almost no reservations to be had near CDG on Oct. 18, Rugby of course.

However, I decided to go for it on Hotwire, $114 a night. Guess what, I got Sheraton CDG right inside the airport, a $400 room. It is very near the new automated train from the other terminals. Yes, a great way to start my adventure.

Also I found a 1st class couchette to and from Florence for 85 euros each way. I did not want the pain of going back and forth from Pisa and the airport stress. It will also save me 2 nights hotel to spend somewhere else. I am thinking of day trips to San Gimi, Sienna, Cortona, Orvieto. Should I bite the bullet and rent a car in Chiusi so I can do Pienza etc?

Thanks.

gg
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:08 AM
tod

Hello ggnga! I am almost as excited as you, hearing all your travel plans!
Wish I could help more but do agree with your suggestion of only taking a small bag on the tour to Morocco, spending the night near CDG and just gathering up some 'chill' time before the tour. I am way past travelling with anything but washable/overnight drying clothes (and all mixes and matches) to get the maximum benefit of wearing something the same that looks totally different.

At the moment I am planning for our May trip to the UK and trying hard to fit in a few days for Paris. I will be thinking of you during Oct and wish you all the very best for your holiday.
Are you doing a solo trip or with your friend (who couldn't find a Chinese restaurant he liked the look of)?
Looking forward to hearing a trip report!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I don't have any ideas on your travel plans (getting the Sheraton was great), but did you need info on a private baggage facility at CDG? Maybe you have that covered, but there is a company there called Baggages du Monde that will take luggage and stores it offsite for you (only way they can do it). Thus, it is good for long term but not a few hours. They have a website which should list locations.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM

However, I decided to go for it on Hotwire, $114 a night. Guess what, I got Sheraton CDG right inside the airport, a $400 room.

Congratulations on getting a steal of a deal at the Sheraton.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM

now that is a great deal. congratulations. nice way to start a trip.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Hey ggnga, I don't have any advice or answers to your questions, but I wanted the opportunity to wish you well on your big adventure and to tell you how much I envy you!

Wow, your life has taken a big turn and it's great to see that you're making the most of it! I'd give anything (well almost anything) to spend a month in Paris. I will be going back early next September with my sister, but only for six nights. (I've already told her we're going to L'Insulaire for dinner).

I hope that while you're traveling, you'll pop into a few internet cafes and keep us up-to-date on what fun things you're doing.

You go, girl!

P.S. Hey, tod, hello to you too!

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM
tod

Hi Travgina! Isn't it great we three are still touching sides?!!
I wish you and your sister a very happy time in Paris next year.
Where are you stayng? I just looked up ggnga's choice of Hotel Cosmos and it has great revues from Dave-in-paris and others. I think ggnga has made a great choice.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Hi tod. I think we'll be staying at Hotel du College de France. I love that area.

I just got back from five days in beautiful Montreal, but it made me long for Paris even more.

I so envy ggnga's plans to work three months and then travel three months. Would love to do something like that! She is going to have such a great time, and I, along with everyone else, will be waiting for reports from her!

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, especially Gina and tod. I am sorry it took me awhile to get back. My head is truly spinning. I am finishing up both jobs, sending years of stuff to auction, moving the rest, doing seemingly endless paperwork for Hawaii, trying to pack for 2 months in Europe and the months in Hawaii. I had to get my flu shot and a Tetanus yesterday. My arms hurt. Got my nails done and a new hairdo today. Scrunched and my own curls for ease and a little pizazz. Still very red of course. I must take time to breathe..no that has to wait til next week.

Thank you for the well wishes. I will definitely let you hear from me.

gg