Afternoon tea: a British view

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Note the tone of surprise (i.e., posh afternoon tea isn't really one of our regular habits):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/ar...812864,00.html

and how to make it yourself:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1812757,00.html
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:17 AM

Please, Americans, if you want to make tea, read the bit where they tell you how to do it. I would add the basic rule "take the pot to the kettle and not the kettle to the pot"
I remember somebody on this forum saying that she could easily make tea because she had constant hot running water
I assume that she didn't have constant boiling water
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:29 AM

As a great fan of Starbucks I was distressed to come upon these words: "...the Americans have successfully McDonald-ised and infantilised coffee. It is not really coffee any more. It is globally franchised cod-bohemianism in the form of hot, coffee-flavoured milkshake, fed to us in obscene measures in cartons meant for fizzy drinks."

How bloody cruel.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:35 AM

Good grief, Patrick ! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Afternoon tea at "11.30am, 1.30pm, 3.30pm, 5.30pm... 7.30pm" !?!

The 'how to' instructions are a bit misleading : "fill the pot up" only works if you're using exactly the right size pot for the number of cups required - but I supposed that's taken as given ?

Don't you love Hoppy ?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:36 AM

I loved that "hot, coffee-flavoured milkshake"
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

>"fill the pot up" only works if you're using exactly the right size pot for the number of cups required<

In my house, the number of cups required (and drunk) is a function of the size of the pot (and any supplementary topping up with hot water) rather than the other way around!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM

I don't see any reason for the Guardian to get all uppity about coffee, or Starbucks for that matter: I can understand Italians or Viennese bemoaning the march of the coffee-shop multinationals. But Britain?? This was the land of Nescafe and (gag) Mellow Birds until all of twenty five minutes ago.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Ah, but it was BRITISH rubbish, Preternat. And you are rather thinking of fifty years ago, rather than twenty-five minutes.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM

Patrick, you can still get plenty of rubbish coffee in the UK, I've been served it often enough in the last two years; I prefer going to a Costa Coffee if I'm not at a place where I know the coffee is decent. At least at Costa, I know what I'll be getting. Preternat is right, the Guardian writer was in a snit for no good reason. Except, of course, to preserve street cred with his mates by making the de rigeur snide comment about Starbucks/Americans/McDonalds.

Also, MissPrism, some homes DO have separate instant hot water taps that can deliver boiling water, or near to, on demand.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:54 AM

One of the reasons I prefer Starbucks over over chains is that they seem to be the only one that actually do a proper cup of filter coffee. All the others just add hot water to a shot of espresso and call it an "Americano" - watery and bitter and most unsatisfying! Favourite London coffee shop: Monmouth Coffee Company on Monmouth St.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 02:57 AM
AllyPally

Thanks for that Patrick - I had a really good chuckle! Just yesterday I was mooching around Liberty on my lunchbreak and noticed that their tea-room, all dark and cosy, was almost empty. Perused the menu - full tea is about £16. Ok, it's not the Ritz or Claridges but I'm sure they do a nice scone. Although I am Canadian, living in London, I was brought up in a strict British tea-drinking family. So the rituals are still very well known to me but I STILL refuse to make anyone tea in the office here. How easy it is to mess up a cup of tea! And every Brit has their own way of taking it. I've been educated in the ways of everything from "gnat's piss" to "builder's tea" - I end up with shaking hand at the thought of someone hating the tea I've just made for them. So much harder to make a good cup of tea than a good cup of coffee. Forget it. Even tho my parents (Welsh) have been drinking teabag tea for years, they still leave a little bit of liquid at the bottom of the cup. When I was about 17, I asked why they did this. The answer was because in the old days of loose tea leaves, you would inevitably end up with some at the bottom of your cup - you wouldn't want your last gulp to be full of leaves! And my dad once told me - over a cream tea, of course - that the last bit of scone was always the best because you probably overcompensated on the cream and jam so you would have lots for the last bite!

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Patrick, I know what you mean. But the instructions described putting in one spoonful of tea pp etc - but then just said fill the pot with water ! So if you had a massive pot but only wanted 2 cups of tea - you'd carefully measure the tea - and then just fill the pot with water !

BTW I've always understood it should be 1 tsp pp + 1 for the pot, not dsp. Obviously depends on personal taste & the strength of the tea you're using, anyway - likewise how long you leave it to brew for.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Also, MissPrism, some homes DO have separate instant hot water taps that can deliver boiling water, or near to, on demand.

"Or near to" is the word.
To make a decent cuppa, you boil the water in a kettle and get a good rolling boil.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Ah yes, Caroline, I should have read the article more thoroughly. As a devotee of trot-a-mouse/builder's tea myself, I would have to agree on that point.

Does anyone else remember "strangers" in the tea-leaves, and working out when one would come to call? And "reading the cup" (I can't help thinking the Ritz might be missing a trick by not employing a mysterious old lady to come round and tell their customer's fortunes)?
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:38 AM

When I was in my green and salad days, I sat for hours with my friends in coffee bars. They were very big in the 50s.
I can still remember the hissing of the machine.
I seem to remember that they always served cappucino although I suppose that you could get espresso if you wanted it.

Also, don't forget that we English and coffee go back centuries.
Lloyds of london started as a coffee house.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:42 AM

(I can't help thinking the Ritz might be missing a trick by not employing a mysterious old lady to come round and tell their customer's fortunes)?

Now that is an idea!
I actually have an antique fortune-telling teacup with little pictures of playing cards. I suppose that you read your fortune by where the leaves settled.
Unfortunately, I haven't got the key to it.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:51 AM

I must be one of the few people in the world never to have entered a Starbucks not even for a "Starbucks Slash".
I have sometimes had a "McPiddle" though.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:54 AM

In light of all these don't-the-barbarians know-about-boiling-water remarks, Americans might respond that the Boston tea party certainly came about as the result of something boiling.

Old Jul 5th, 2006, 03:59 AM

<< Americans might respond that the Boston tea party certainly came about as the result of something boiling. >>

More to do with a bunch of crooks upset at losing their smuggling trade
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 04:30 AM

<<More to do with a bunch of crooks upset at losing their smuggling trade>>

Indeed! As Niall Ferguson has noted, this was one of the rare instances of rioting over the government actually lowering taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -