Reload this Page >

Aeolian Islands Report

Search

Aeolian Islands Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:08 AM
GAC

Aeolian Islands Report

Spent six glorious days in Lipari, Aeolian Islands (off of northeast Sicily) at the end of May, 2002. Highly recommend going to the Aeolian Islands and spending at least four days there (preferably one week). Best time to go is late May or late September, when prices are low and the islands are not overrun with tourists. Each island is distinct and unique. Best to base oneself in Lipari, which has the only real "town" in the archipelago. Everywhere else is quite rustic. Lipari's Archeological Museum has a fantastic, world-class collection of prehistoric and classical artifacts. Good views of the town from the ramparts. Budget at least half a day to see the Museum and the "Castello" area of Lipari. Take the inexpensive local bus (Linee URSO, from the gas station at Marina Lunga) to tour points around the island. Or rent a motor scooter for more flexibility. Spend some time in Marina Corta doing people watching. Excellent ferry and hydrofoil connections to all the other islands, as well as to Milazzo, Naples, Reggio Calabria, Messina and (summer only), Cefalu and Palermo. Ferry is better to take photos and videos, since the hydrofoil has no outdoor seating. Take ferry in one direction and hydrofoil in other direction to save time. If taking the overnight car ferry to or from Naples, reserve a sleeping cabin (see my separate posting), since sofa chairs (limited in number) are not comfortable for sleeping. Otherwise, take the hydrofoil from June 1st through September 30th (twice as fast as ferry). Very highly recommend the Hotel Carasco (see my other posting, Hotel Carasco Lipari Island). Go to Salina Island to see Pollara (reachable by bus), where scenes from the movie "Il Postino" were filmed. Don't miss Vulcano Island (take the bus to Piano for a terrific panorama of Lipari Island and see the sulphur baths near the Porto di Levante) and Stromboli Island (black sand; house where Ingrid Bergman and Roberto Rossellini lived during filming in 1949). You will want to go back.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:20 AM
GAC

For a report on sleeping accommodations on the overnight car ferry between Naples and the Aeolian Islands, see my posting "sleeping on the Lipari ferry" dated 6/20/2002.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:07 PM
Dayle

GAC mille grazie! i've been looking forward to hearing how your trip was. Printing out for my next trip. Aeolian Islands are on the itinerary in late Sept for sure!<BR><BR>Ciao!

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:09 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Good stuff GAC---grazie !<BR>I missed the Aeolians last time--they are still on my list.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:09 AM
Dayle

Bob - somewhere you actually missed!!!! I've lost all faith in you. Just kidding....Maybe we should plan a Fodorites GTG on Lipari for 2003?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:15 AM
marina

How do you get there from the Cefalu area????

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:18 AM
GAC

From June 15th through the end of September, there is a direct SNAV hydrofoil three times a week in the mornings to Alicudi, Filicudi, Salina and Lipari. If days don't work for you, take a train to Milazzo and then one of the hourly hydrofoils to Lipari.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:20 AM
marina

Thanks.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:03 AM
lope

Hi ! Unfortunately I JUST discovered this wonderful, resourceful board, as I am leaving for Italy on Sat! The only thing I haven't done is decide how I'm going to get to Stromboli, or from which port. I was there 20 or so years ago and i remember both the hydrofoil and the ferry as being rather uncomfortable. I would like to take the shortest, fastest mode of transport, which I believe would be from Reggio Calabria via hydrofoil.....but after reading this board, I see there is a 'newer' ferry now. Anyone have an info on the accomodations...I know it's beautiful to arrive at 5 or 6 am , but I'm afraid I may be too sick to appreciate the beauty! What to do?? need to decide in an hour!!!! Thanks so much.......

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:04 AM
lope

PS.........I would be leaving from Sorrento

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
GAC

Read my posting "Sleeping on the Lipari Ferry". This describes the sleeping accommodations on the ship Pier della Francesca between Lipari and Naples. Right now (July and August), there are six weekly ferries from Naples to Stromboli (8 hours overnight). Three runs are on the larger ship Vittore Carpaccio. I can't comment on the quality of the accommodations on the Carpaccio. They may be better than or equal to those on the smaller ship. Sleeping cabins (on either ship) should be reserved in advance. Otherwise, you can reserve a reclining seat (ONLY on the Carpaccio). With no reservation, you risk spending 8 hours on a non-reclining lounge seat. Schedules and fares on www.siremar.it<BR><BR>Bear in mind that there are also two daily hydrofoils (morning and afternoon) from Naples-Mergellina to Stromboli which take only 4 hours. This would be the fastest way to reach Stromboli from Naples (or Sorrento, for that matter!). Schedules and fares at www.snavali.com<BR><BR>If you want to save the cost of a night's accommodation, reserve a reclining seat (5 Euro supplement) on the overnight Carpaccio ferry. Eight hours on the ferry is like a transatlantic flight from the US East Coast. You'll arrive in Stromboli at 5 a.m. You'll also save about 35% from the cost of the hydrofoil.