Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Discrimination of South Korean Tourists in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:36 AM
Just a Question

Hello,<BR>I am a Korean-American planning to visit Rome this fall. I read recently an article written by an Korean couple in a Korean newspaper of their experience in Italy. They were in Rome in July, shortly after the World Cup. <BR><BR>Those of us who followed the World Cup are aware of the questionable calls made against Italy when they played Korea. I don't want to discuss the merits of that game...I'm sure it's been disected and you have opinions about the outcome. <BR><BR>The Korean couple in Rome were refused service in a bar and asked to leave a bakery when the proprietors found they were from Korea. They decided to say they were from Hong Kong to avoid any more embarrassment the remainder of their trip. <BR><BR>Although I can understand the passion and outrage of the Italian fans against Korea, I am concerned that I may need to call myself Chinese to avoid discomfort in Italy. <BR><BR>October will be 4 months past the World Cup...is my concern legitimate or silly?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:41 AM
Dawn

Just tell them that you are American, which of course you are.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Alice Twain

The worst of the bad feelings about the World Cup have drained away. I think you shouldn't worry too much. In any case, you are not going to walk around Italy with a large neon blinking "I am South Korean (you can beat me if you want)" ;-P. To most people you will just be "a tourist who probably comes from Asia" and that's all. Just enjoy Italy and, in case someone starts any racist behaviour, be aware that he migh be using the World cup facts as an excure, but he is actually just a damn racist who would have treated you badly anyhow: you are better than he is.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:43 AM
NYer

I agree with Alice, everywhere you go there are people who are racist,unfortunately , ignorant people are everywhere,Italy included.<BR>They need your tourist dollars and if someone gives you any trouble/hard time, just get up and walk out, there are plenty of places that will be glad to have your business.<BR>I hope you have a wonderful time!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:47 AM
xxx

That's funny, given that Koreans are still sending hate e-mail about that speed skating call in the Olympics.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Mina

Well, I've heard of people on this board wanting to look European. But now you need to call yourself Chinese in order to escape ire? This is a new one. ;-)<BR><BR>I'm Korean, Korean-American, American (whatever you want to call it) and I intend to go to Italy in 2003. Just go and have a good time. If someone doesn't treat you well (like the previous poster says, there are numbnuts everywhere in this world) don't let it ruin your vacation. I chalk it up to an interesting experience and move on. It usually ends up making a pretty funny story.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Maria

Hey,<BR>Thanks for all your replies. I guess I'm a little nervous about my first trip to Europe. I've been planning this trip for months and I am incredibly excited. Thanks for easing my concern!<BR><BR>Just a Question, aka Maria<BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Mina

Have a great time Maria, and leave the "Be the Reds" T-shirt at home. ;-) (My mom has one. I really don't get what that slogan means. And "Korea Team Fighting"? I know what it means when they say it, but boy, does it translate funny in English!)