Aeolian Islands in late October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are leaving for Italy in 2 weeks. We plan to spend 5 days in Rome and then travel south to Calabria and Sicily. We are trying to decide whether we should spend a couple of nights in the Aeolian Islands. Although we have heard wonderful reviews, we are concerned that the time of year won't be right. Can anyone share their insights on visiting the Aeolian Islands in late October/early November?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Hi JC - I stayed on Lipari once in mid October and had nice weather.

But ... it's the luck of the draw at that time of year - November is generally one of the wetter months in the southern Med.

Steve
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I agree that it is the luck of the draw at that time of year. If the weather is good then it's gorgeous! The hydrofoil companies cut back their schedules in the low season. siremar.it and usticalines.it . However, even on the most beautiful of days, at that time of year the sea can be pretty rough. Prepare for an interesting ride. I love the Aeolians and hope you have a wonderful time. I'm sure once you have been you will plan to go back again. In my opinion they take at least a week to really see. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Make sure and book your hotels ahead of time because I know that some hotels on the Aeolian Islands close for the season in mid-October.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:41 AM

jc - We have been to the Aeolian Islands a number of times, including Lipari the last week of October. I recommend taking the the Siremar ferry. It is dependable and can handle the high seas if need be. As ZoeB says, many of the hotels close in the latter part of October. However, when we arrived in port we were set upon by dozens of people offering rooms. We stayed at the Hotel Oriente which was inexpensive and nearly vacant. We had great weather...80 degrees and blue skies...but as Steve warned, it can be iffy that time of the year. If you have a chance, try to visit Stromboli...if the weather allows. We were just there in June and it was great. However, hiking is the only activity so the weather is everything. Lipari has things to do in inclement weather. I envy you...Jim