Advise on Sights

Search

Advise on Sights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on Sights

Let me apologize in advance for this message being so long. That being said, I am leaving in 6 days for a cruise through the Greek islands. While I spent five months planning a three month trip that covered almost all of Europe, which was supposed to stop in Greece, I didn't make it there. The previous trip I had planned didn't have time contraints being that I was traveling on a train. This one has a very tight schedule. Thus, I would very much appreciate suggestions on what is a must see, must do vs. what's over-rated.
The following are the places the cruise stops and the amount of time I'll have in each location,
Thessaloniki, Greece - 5 1/2 hrs
Istanbul, Turkey - 10 1/2 hrs
Kusadasi Ephessos, Turkey - 5 1/2 hrs
Santorini, Greece - 4 hrs
Heraklion, Crete, Greece - 4 1/2 hrs
Rhodes, Greece - 12 hrs
Patmos, Greece - 4 hrs
Mykonos, Greece - 7 1/2 hrs
Athens, Greece - 2 days possibly 3

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions. Feel free to either post them here or if possible email them to me at [email protected].
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:22 AM

Tight is right! My best advise would be to sign up for some shore excursions offered by the Cruise line - especially in Istanbul,Kusadasi and Crete. You won't see much, but at least you will get to the "high-lites". In Rhodes, Santorini, and the other islands I would just take a stroll through the towns. In Rhodes, you might consider an excursion to Lindos, but I find I could spend at least 12 hrs just exploring the fortress and the old town. Sorry, I am not familiar with Thessaloniki. Have a wonderful cruise.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 04:40 AM
Val

Ephesus is certainly worth a visit but if there is an organised trip I should take it as time will be tight to visit independently.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:48 AM

In Thessaloniki, THE absolute must is an excursion to Vergina where the brand new museum dedicated to King Philippos father of/ and Alexander the Great has just been opened to the public.

It's magic!Unique ,as the museum covers the site of the royal tombs.

Experts say that if you have to see 2 sites in Greece ...then the first is the Acropolis...the second Vergina!
Just before boarding the ship a galss of beer (Zythos tavern) or ouzo(in one of the littele gems-taverns at the Modiano covered market)
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 07:41 AM

If you have any interest in Roman history, Ephesus is a must. One of the most interesting sites we have visited.

Knossos in Crete is a Minoan site that gets mixed reviews, but we enjoyed our tour. Also went to the archeological museum which contained many things from Knossos.

Agree with CharlieB about Rhodes. We loved strolling through the old city. I had my first Greek salad there and was instantly hooked. Try to make it every now and then, but haven't mastered it yet. Of course, sitting at an outside table with a little fountain nearby and watching the people walk by perhaps made it much tastier in Rhodes. We visited the Museum of Rhodes and the Palace of the Knights, both were interesting.

Santorini and Mykonos again we just strolled about the narrow little streets and window shopped, stopped for a drink, etc.

In Patmos you should visit the monastery. We didn't and have regretted it since.

In Athens we enjoyed the Plaka (even though it is touristy), the Acropolis of course, the tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the uniquely dressed guards, a visit to a beautiful Orthodox church. The archeological museum there is very good, but time did not allow a visit.

Envy your trip. It's been some time since we went to Greece and would love to return.

Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 09:20 AM

Do not miss EPHESUS under any circumstances. Get a professional tour of the area. It is one of favorite sites we have visited on many trips to Europe.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:21 AM

I've only been to a few of these islands, so can't give a lot of advice, except that a professionally guided tour of Ephesus is a must-do.

As for Rhodes, you have 12 hrs there and may have extra time, certainly more than other places. I was there about that amount and rented a taxi with a friend to drive us around Rhodes all afternoon for a flat rate-- to a beach to go swimming, etc. He was really cheap, you can negotiate something like that in the city off-the-cuff. NOw you may not want to go swimming, but check a guidebook for what might be an interesting drive in Rhodes, if you want, as you won't have time on any other island to see anything but the main tourist/port area.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your recommendations, I was curious as to whether anyone has been to Delphi, and whether it was worth the time to go. One of my friends went and loved it and another went and said it was a waste of a day.
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 10:32 PM

When in Athens, a day trip to Delphi is a must.
Not only you will visit the 'first UN organisation' of the History but you will have the opportunity to visit some picturesque mountain villages , Harahova and Ayoriani.
Hire a skilled driver/taxi(i.e. trough your cruise rep) an make your own tour .

The day after you should visit one island: Hydra!
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 01:36 PM

I have only been in Santorini.
We walked up the "perfumed highway" to town to walk around the shops. It's a pretty view and the limited time you have there is actually enough time.
You could take a bus up to Oia and walk around. Cute town, beautiful blue domed churches, shops.....we were given 45 minutes to walk around on my cruise's tour and that was plenty.
There is a red-sand beach at Akorini (if I'm spelling it right). If you are interested in seeing that, I heard it was nice but we didn't get time to go.
Enjoy!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Rhodes: walk around inside the Fortress..also I thought the Turkish graveyard was interesting. It is outside the fortress near the harbour, well hidden from view.
Santorini... relax at a cafe on the edge of the caldera in the centre of Thira.
Athens, walk up to Kolonaki area.
Take the Lonely Planet self guided walk up the plaka side of the Acropolis for great views of Athens and the original white homes of the workers along the edge.
Mykonos...head for the beach
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Delphi was beautiful - we took a day trip while we were there in September and loved it! The scenary is just amazing. When ever we make it back to greece, we def. plan on visiting Delphi again.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Just a thought for Santorini - most "towns" in Greece are all the same and I always fel sorry for the "boat people". You tend to see the same tourist shops on all the islands. Although Oia is beautiful, consider skipping Santorini "town" and get a cab straight to Akrotiri(sp?). It is an entire town preserved after a volcano and just incredible to see - but VERY HOT!!! Right near by is an amazing black sand beach, remember to wear shoes. Just a different twist to shopping! With Rhodes, you do have alot of time so do consider Lindos - it's one of the prettist towns in Greece perched high on a hill. Butterfly world is also amazing, although time consuming - a beautiful forest with these beautiful butterflies everywhere. The entire walk is long, but you can stop at any point along the way and turn back around. Again, just a break from the usual tourist shops. Have fun!!
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:28 AM

We travelled around Crete on our own for a week and around the mainland for another week and of all the many sites (and we are very very active in finding interesting and offbeat places to visit), I must say that Delphi was magical and haunting (and that's with the museum currently closed for the Olympics). It is especially wonderful in late afternooon, when the tour groups are gone. I brought a book from my library that provided pages and pages of details and contextual insights.
I can't imagine how anyone found the site a waste of time.