Advice: Rome to Naples to Capri

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Capri before while visiting Naples with the Navy..many years ago..<BR><BR>My wife and I will be in Rome in April, and I thought I'd like her to see Capri, as I was enchanted by it..Now for the questions.<BR><BR>What's the best mode of transportation from Rome to Naples?<BR><BR>How much will it cost?<BR><BR>Does anyone remember how much the hydrofoil and regular ferries cost to Capri?<BR><BR>What will the weather be like in late April?<BR><BR>Warm enough for snorkeling or swimming?<BR><BR>and lastly, can I do it in a day-trip from Rome?<BR><BR>Thanks
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 09:43 PM

Rome to Naples...train. I can't remember the price but it isn't much. Station to Molo Beverello...taxi. Between $10 to $15 Euro depending on the driver. We go often and never get charged the same amount. The hydrofoil is about $8 Euro. The weather in April can be very warm. Sometimes chilly. It can easily be warm enough for swimming. In a day? It could take a good 4 hours to get there from Rome. Depending on your connections....It's a little long for a day, but if you really wanted to I guess you could do it.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 10:00 PM

Depending on which train the trip from Rome Termini to Naples Centrale takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours and costs about 20 euros for second class. I've gone to Capri by hydrofoil from Sorrento not Naples and the cost is about 15 euros as recently as October. I would not even consider doing Capri as a day trip from Rome. It is worth much more than that. Why not get a hotel on Capri and return the next afternoon? Try this site for hotel. http://www.venere.com/<BR>Have a fun trip.<BR>Larry J<BR><BR>
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:46 AM

My mistake, I just checked with my husband and he said the aliscafi (hydrofoil) is about 15 E each way. As I said in my last post, it's a little long for a day. I wouldn't do it in a day either...as Larry said.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Hi-I've been to Capri many times, and highly suggest you spend at least one night.Capri has a whole different feeling at night after all of the day tourists have left, it's truely magical.<BR>I can suggest a hotel, La Minerva-great 3 star.<BR>Log on to www.karenbrown.com for more info. under Italy B&amp; B's.<BR>Also www.caprionline.it-will give you info. on the island, and hydrofoil connections.<BR>la dolce Capri<BR>Fluffy<BR>
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Hi Scooter, sorry the web address is :caprionline.com<BR>Best of luck <BR>Fluffy<BR>to the top
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:06 PM

April is still low season on Capri and many stores and restaurants won't be open yet. Although it can be warm, unless you are used to swimming in very cold water, I don't think the water temperature in that part of the Med is warm enough to swim in until late May at the earliest. Also, April can be rainy and cool. If you are unlucky enough to arrive in Naples as a storm is about to start, the boats to Capri won't run at all. If they are running, be aware that they are still running at a reduced schedule at this time of year. I love Capri but I think it is at its best in summer. It is much better to spend at least one night there. If you are on a tight schedule and do spend the night, the same storm problems could leave you stranded on the island when you need to get back to Rome. Not that being stranded on Capri is a bad thing, but all this complicates a day trip or a quick overnight there during this time of year.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:37 AM

Naples (Molo Beverello) to Capri fares are currently:<BR><BR>EURO 11.00 by Hydrofoil <BR>EURO 5.42 by Ferry<BR><BR>Here's the link:<BR><BR>http://www.capri.net/home/en/transport_result.php?percorso=Napoli+-+Capri<BR><BR>Steve
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:57 AM

I wanted to see Capri and the Amalfi coast when we were in Rome last year. We ended up spending the weekend in this area, staying in Sorrento. <BR>Left Rome by Eurostar to Naples on the Friday morning took a taxi to the harbour for the hydrofoil to Naples, spent the afternoon in Naples, returned to Sorrento, checked into our hotel. The next day we explored Sorrento and visited Herculaneum for an afternoon, - on the Sunday we did an organised tour of the Amalfi coast seeing Amalfi, Positano, Ravello - it was wonderful and returned to Rome on the Sunday evening.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:03 AM

Isobel, you mentioned an organized tour of the Almalfi coast, was this something you arranged prior to your arrival, or was your hotel/ B &amp; B able to book it? I'm planning on being in the area in early Oct, and as I'm travelling solo, (and not wanting to drive myself) this would be perfect. My current plans are one night in Naples, then onto Sorrento before leaving from Naples airport.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great replies...<BR><BR>I'm hoping for at least &quot;sunbathing&quot; weather on April 28-30....
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Scooter71:<BR>I hope you get that sunbathing weather. We are leaving for Rome next Thurs. I just checked the forecast and Rome's high temperature next week should be in the high 50's or low 60's. Capri's high forecast for 62 degrees. But hopefully the following week will be warmer.