Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rothenburg and Stuttgart Hotels: Any Suggs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any sugg. for hotels in Stuttgart and Rothenburg?<BR>So far, in Stuttgart my friend and I are considering Hotel Intercontinental. The rate is 120,00 Euro/night.<BR>Thx in advance!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:30 PM

In Rothenburg, check out the Hotel Hornburg (Hornberg?). The rooms are nice, and the owners are very helpful. It is located right outside the wall - rates are about $60 for two and includes a great breakfast. I can't help you for Stuttgart.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:10 PM

We have stayed at the Roter Hahn in Rothenburg on two occasions. Nice, family run hotel less than 2 blks from the main town square. Our double room was less than $80. Here's their website: http://www.rothenburg-online.de/hote...index_eng.html.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 09:00 PM

I have booked the Intercontinental in Stuttgart for two nights in June. Lowest price I could get for a double was 138 euro. Where did you get the 120 rate, or was it before summer?? Highly recommended to me, especially for proximity to the train station.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:59 AM

For Rothenberg o/d Tauber, I like to stay in the Kloster St&uuml;berl, which is very close to city center (approx. ?90 for dbl and breakfast). I found this through Karen Brown's website.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:35 AM

For a top notch hotel in Rothenburg I would suggest the Eisenhut. 5 star all the way. They include parking with the room rate (they will take your car away and park it for you at no extra charge). This is a grand hotel right in the heart of town. Superb in every respect. Pricey but worth it.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Rothenburg, I stayed at the Hotel Meistertrunk. It was convenient, clean, and nice. Kloster Stubel (don't remember the spelling of that one exactly) was right near Meistertrunk, and seemed fine on the outside. Roter Hahn is also close, but the reception didn't look as nice. Eisenhut is right smack dab in the center, and looked fancy, but there are so many nice hotels in Rothenburg for a better price, I don't know if the splurge is worth it. Of course, that's up to you.<BR><BR>Hotel Markusturm is often photographed and also seemed like a good choice. All these hotels are within the wall, and are central.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:33 PM

We stayed at Klosterstuble in June of 2000 for about $75 us. Great location around the corner from the beautiful park overlooking the valley, wonderful staff and food and the place had charming ambiance. We loved it for the price and value and they had a place to park a car. We don't give a damn about stars when traveling except on a clear night
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:44 PM

Ah, sixthlap, I went back to the Intercontinental site and found that rate of 120 euro. Are you aware that rate requires you pay in full at time of booking and cannot be cancelled or refunded even for partial credit at any time??? That's why I took the next one up -- for 138 euro, but I see now the next lowest for my dates is something like 178 euro.<BR>I just won't book a hotel that I could lose the entire three nights stay if my plans change for any reason -- especially when it is not till July, and the world is as screwed up as it is. Plus I really don't see putting out the 360 euro to pay in full now.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:29 AM

Patrick have you tried booking your hotel through the DB site. All of the rooms there can be booked with out the prepayment I know the Intercontinental is one that use the DB site. http://www.hrs.de/se/bahn?L=uk&amp;KDNR=7000896 This is the address in my favorites. I have booked one hotel with them for our trip in May. They will hold my reservation untill 6 pm. Just like booking a Holiday Inn.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:43 PM

we have stayed several times at the small Klingentor Gasthof which is just outside the wall near one of the main gates...we will return there again next year....they do not have a web site that i can find but are listed with some of the group hotel web sites or just write to them...it is family run and there is a very good &quot;locals&quot; restaurant on the first floor....i think it is about $60/double...
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:44 PM

as you may have guessed that posting above is for rothenburg
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 12:11 PM

Frequent Rothenburg visitor suggests these two hotels:<BR><BR>REICHS KUCHENMEISTER: Next to St Jacobs Church and near the town square. Also includes breakfast and cozy rooms in the main old building. Reasonably priced. Restaurant is worth going to for dinner even if you do not stay there. Great schnitzel!<BR><BR>MARKUSTURM: This hotel used to be pictured on the cover of Karen Brown's book. You will see etchings to buy of this hotel. We stayed there in Dec 2001. Had the rooms shown on the etching. Great rooms, remodeled and nice baths. Good location and reasonably priced. You will not be disappointed if you want ambiance, location and friendly staff.<BR><BR>EISENHUT? Stuffy. Bring your nice clothes.<BR><BR>Another choice: BURG HOTEL. Friendly staff, location is tucked away in one corner of the city. Nice rooms.<BR><BR>Stay within the walls of the city and walk the area. Avoid needing your car. Take the Nightwatchman's tour at 8pm that leaves from the Rathaus Square. Fun way to see the city. Tour guide funny and in English.<BR><BR>STUTTGART? Lived there for 18 months and have limited experience with hotels. The Stuttgart Airport hotel is located near the autobahn and airport if you are looking for that. Sorry no good information for here.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 12:35 PM

just outside the walls in rothenburg is a family run hotel called Gasthof Post. Its ridiculously good value for money, costing around 15quid pppn. (about 23 euros,I think) we had the top floor apartment room, which has a balcony. Not sure if all the other rooms do, but the hotel, and its restaurant, are really lovely and amazing value for money in a city that can be a bit expensive. Go to the Christmas shop!!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:52 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Markusturm (Romantik Hotel) in Ro'Burg in September and absolutely loved it. There's a parking area behind the hotel, the staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is great...although no matter where you stay within the walls of Rothenburg the location will be great! The area within the walls is pretty small. The room we stayed in was very charming...modern yet antique...if that's possible!! The bathroom was very modern. <BR>I have no hesitation in recommending it. <BR><BR>Another cute hotel is the BURG HOTEL. We didn't stay there but went in and looked around. Very friendly folk there and it's just so cute!! Especially at dusk.<BR>Remember to get to Rothenburg in the evening...before the sun sets...and leave before noon when the tour buses start to pour in. And definitely remember to do the Night Watchman's tour!!