Advice on what to visit in Slovenia

Old May 25th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on what to visit in Slovenia

Hello,

I plan to make a trip to Slovenia soon and would like some suggestions on what to visit. As of now I want to visit:
Lake Bled
The Postojna Cave
Triglav national park

Does anybody have some good suggestions?
I actually found a nice page to help me in my search, but the options are just too vast...
http://euparky.eu/Slovenia.aspx

Thank you for your advice
Old May 26th, 2015, 10:12 AM

I found this to be a good article if you're interested in driving.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...enian-rhapsody
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:46 AM

Your query is a bit too vague; no one knows how much time you have, when you will go, or what you are interested in.

Pick up a good guidebook and start there. I recommend the Rick Steves Croatia/Slovenia book. There are also a number of trip reports here. You can find my report from 2011 that was mostly Slovenia, by clicking on my name above.

I loved Slovenia - small country but a lot to see.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 04:31 PM
kja

You might want to look at Ljubljana, Lake Bohinj, the Vintgar Gorge, and the Škocjan Caves.

I found the Rough Guide to Slovenia the most helpful of the several guidebooks I used when planning my time in the area. In contrast, I found that the Rick Steves guidebook did not even mention some of the things I enjoyed most.

Slovenia is, IMO, absolutely charming. Enjoy!
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 04:46 PM

The Rick Steves book certainly covers the highlights of Slovenia that you mention. No guidebook covers every detail of everything. No one guidebook is perfect for every traveler. I usually consult two or three books when preparing for a trip.

Honestly, I'm starting to get a bit irritated that every time I mention a Rick Steves book you feel obligated to jump in and contradict me.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Hi
I'm just back from Slovenia.My wife organized the trip, she bought 2 guides (paper boks).
We saw : postojna caves, Piran, some other cave, Bled lake, another lake, ljubliana, trieste (not really Slovenian)) castle,Predjama and some more.
My advice : just get yourself a wife as bright as mine and do seom research on your own instead of asking others to do the job for you.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 05:40 PM
kja

@ Andrew – LOL, I feel no obligation to contradict you, and trust that you aren’t trying to irritate me by continuing to recommend a guidebook that you know I found woefully and sadly inadequate.

I agree that no guidebook covers every detail of everything and that no one guidebook is perfect for every traveler. Perhaps others will find it useful to realize that different travelers can have such disparate views of a specific guidebook.

@ pariswat - sounds like good advice to me!
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 06:09 PM

Why would I be trying to irritate you by responding to a thread you hadn't even posted on yet? You may find it amusing to shadow me and contradict me whenever I mention Rick Steves, but please do give it a rest.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 06:11 PM

pariswat, I loved Piran - not much to see there but an adorable gem on the tiny Slovenian coastline.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 06:24 PM
kja

@ Andrew -- I do not shadow you. I post on threads about Croatia and Slovenia and other places I have visited in the sincere hope that OPs will find my input helpful. Period. Sometimes you post before me; sometimes I post before you. No matter the order, if you continue to recommend RS's guidebooks for Croatia or Slovenia, I will continue to state that I found them to be inadequate. I don't find it amusing to do so -- it is, if anything, irritating. It is NOT about you. It is about providing input to the OPs.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 06:43 PM

This thread is a month stale, long abandoned by the OP, but topped today by a spammer. The OP will likely never read your comments.

It is sad that some people can't tolerate a difference of opinion and have the compulsive need to contradict someone else's opinion. Recommending the Rough Guide is one thing; repeatedly trashing another book you didn't like, whenever someone mentions it, is another. We all have different travel styles. For some of us, the Rick Steves books are extremely useful and helpful. It would be nice if you could try to accept that.
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 08:00 PM
kja

OMG, I inadvertently topped an old thread -- shoot me! LOL.

I have no problem with differences of opinion, Andrew. In fact, I value them enough to state my opinions even when they differ from someone else’s opinion, yours included. It is my belief that people benefit from hearing different opinions when there are, in fact, difference in relevant opinions. After all, they are just that: Opinions.

I do not make assumptions about the motives of those who disagree with me. I don’t assume they feel “obligated” to contradict me, or that they are trying to “shadow” me, or that they find it “amusing” to contradict me, or that they have a “compulsive need to contradict someone else’s opinion.” I think (yes, another opinion) that it is rather sad that you seem to make such assumptions about MY motives – sad, and irritating, and actually (to be honest) I find it offensive. But that’s just my opinion.