Reload this Page >

Advice on Itineray

Search

Advice on Itineray

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:24 PM
scott

Advice on Itineray

I'd appreciate any input/thoughts on this itinerary for family of four, children 12 and 15, on first 23 day trip to europe flying into Frankfurt and leaving from London.<BR>2 days on rhine (Bacharach)<BR>1 day in Rothenburg<BR>2 days in Venice<BR>2 days in Sorrento/Pompeii/Amalfi coast<BR>3 days Rome<BR>3 days Florence<BR>2 Days Cinque Terre<BR>3 days Berner Oberland region in Switzerland<BR>3 days Paris<BR>2 days London

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:33 PM
Rex

I'm somewhat amazed that two hours have gone by, and you haven't gotten any responses.<BR><BR>You are sure to get a spectrum of replies here - - some emotion-charged, some calling you crazy, all saying this is way too many destinations, too much moving around, Europe spinning by you like a whirligig.<BR><BR>So I'll try to offer a constructive reply, without (too) much opinion.<BR><BR>Overdone on destinations by 30%.<BR><BR>Remove Sorrento/Pompeii/Amalfi coast.<BR><BR>Add additional time to get from Rothenburg to Venice. Maybe two days in Salzburg (yes, I know that's adding an additional destination).<BR><BR>Cinque Terre to Bernese Oberland? in one day? Oy, oy, oy. 8 and 1/4 to 10 and 1/4 hrs with five to SEVEN! train changes, depending on your departure time. I would not do this to my family. Let extra time in Austria be your Alps time instead.<BR><BR>Head directly from Florence to Nice instead. Use some of your 5 days allocated to Cinque Terre and Bernese Oberland there, then fly to Paris (plenty of cheap flights available).<BR><BR>Consider omitting London (or have you considered putting it on the front end?) I think that the benefit of England at the front end gets short shrift in many itineraries. Get over the fatigue factor and make other adjustments without having to deal with a language barrier in those first few days. If you DO put (preferably 3-4 days in) England at the front end, consider omitting Paris, and just fly home from Nice. You can, by the way, fly cheaply from London to Frankfurt - - on www.ryanair.com - - and maybe other carriers also.<BR><BR>If you omit London, use the extra time in France, either getting from Nice to Paris - - or even better, IN Paris and around it.<BR><BR>Or cut the whole trip by a week, remove even more of it - - and start saving for your follow-up trip in 2003 or 2004! Twenty-three days on the road together is a LONG time for a first trip to Europe. You're going to learn so much on this trip, and you will be such a smarter traveler on any next trip.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:30 AM

topping, for Scott<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:57 PM
scott

topping

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:51 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Scott, way too much ! The only way you can do the first part of this is with a large helicopter. I suggest you drop Rothenburg and subsitute Fussen and the castles of Bavaria. Also, drop the Amalfi coast altogther--too far and too much hassle. Frankly, I would start in Munich if you have a choice. And, the big question--are you driving? In your 23 days you should have a max of 9 destinations--especially with this geography and the major cities. You need to cut back to enjoy the trip.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Scott

topping

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Shain

Hi,<BR>I live close to Frankfurt and have been living in munich too.<BR>My advise for your family is - <BR>skip the rhine area (for your first trip) fly to munich (maybe with United or Lufthansa) take a rental car - <BR>go to F&uuml;ssen (Castle Schwanstein)90kms<BR>cross the border head to Bozen(Bolzano)<BR>than to venice.<BR>Take a trip to Florence and rome,<BR>drive along the coastal freeway to Genua, Nice, Cannes, Marseille, Lyon and<BR>let your trip end in Paris.<BR>While on the Way between Genua(italian harbour city) and Marseille make sure<BR>you enjoy the "Provence". Lots of fantastic restaurants, petit hotels, or stay in one of the cities such as Cannes or Nice. But please make sure your are not there in july/august absolut high season !!! All europeans are on the Cote Azur coastal line.<BR>And think of the timedifferences between US and the Continent.<BR>That makes it:<BR>2/3 nights munich (incl.F&uuml;ssen)<BR>1 day on the road to venice(maybe stop<BR>1 night in salzburg(ca.150km from munich)<BR>2 nights venice (v-f= 500kms)<BR>2 night florence (f-r= 370kms)<BR>3 nights rome (r-g 700kms)<BR>(1 night genova (g-c) 220kms)<BR>or to nice directly than its 900kms a day<BR>3/4 night nice and provence(have a rest)<BR>1 night lyon<BR>3/4 nights Paris (so much cultural things to see<BR><BR>The italian cities are empty in july/august, paris too, but do not understimate the european holidays <BR>millions are in search of sun from france, Belgium netherlands and especially germany!<BR>More questions ?<BR>Shain/Germany/D&uuml;sseldorf<BR>Ps.: Have been to all those places except rome !!!<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:40 PM
ScottY

Hi: <BR><BR>This is my suggestion:<BR><BR>1) DO NOT drop Rothenburg and go to Fusson for castle of Bavaria. Unless you are really into the castle stuff. Spend your day a the lovely town of Rothenburg is much better than spend 1/2 day driving to a over-rated castle (New swan castle?) 2)Drop Sorrento/Pompii/Amalfi: In Rome you see the similar ruin as Pompii. and Cinque Terre is much better and less prentendous than Amalfi cost...but don't show up Cinque Terre on weekend without a room reservation. 3)3 days in florence is a bit too long unless you want to hit all the museum and love to shop 4) 3 days in Paris is way too short. It is a easy one week. 5) after one week in Paris any time in london is too long...

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Joanne

I agree with the basic advice to cut back and to see fewer places, in more depth. <BR><BR>With your current plan, you will get exhausted from all the between-destinations travel. Especially with teens, it's better to minimize the relocation stresses so you can relax and enjoy the vacation more. If you wear the kids out, you'll never get them back to Europe wth you again!<BR><BR>I know that a long list of destinations makes it SEEM like you'll see more -- but what you'll see more OF is trains, planes, and waiting rooms. You really don't want to spend a large chunk of your precious vacation time on this least-pleasant aspect of travel, do you?<BR><BR>Watch out for Ryanair -- their fares are bargains, BUT they have very strict weight limits on your total luggage, and charge a steep premium for overweight.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Shain

Hi again,<BR>indeed I forgot Rothenburg - do not drop Rothenburg its a World Heritage site of the UNESCO too.<BR>It is 1,5-2 hrs drive from munich - you dont have to sleep anywhere else!<BR>I suggest to take a minivan - the road are perfect especially in germany, italy and france also you will find a maximumspeed of 130km/h in france/italy<BR>120km/h in austria and generally NO<BR>speed limitations in germany !!!<BR>You CAN enjoy your trip if you work on some details - even with kids!<BR>Shain/Germany/D&uuml;sseldorf