Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting the best flights to Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a first trip to Ireland in late Septemeber/early October 2006. I am wondering when I should book my flights in order to get the best fares and which airport we should try and fly into. I am flying from JFK and have heard that Shannon is the easiest airport to get in and out of, is this true? Also, any suggestions as to what prices are considered a good price from JFK to Shannon or Dublin? Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I would suggest you book as soon as possible. I booked my June trip in early Sept. and since then the cost of my flight has gone up over $150.00 per ticket. Fuel costs are being passed on so I would lock in as soon as possible. Flying out of JFK you can get a direct flight right to Shannon but it will not be the cheapist. I would check AA. You would have to shuttle up to Boston and fly BOS to Shannon. It will be cheaper than the direct flights, it comes down to your tolerance for sitting around airports. Shannon is absolutley easier to get into and out of than Dublin so it your plans suits it go for Shannon. Cork is even easier. You can connect there from Dublin or London on aer Lingus or Aer Arran for a few dollors more. Hit all the travel sites and when you see a flight that looks good to you go to the airlines sight and you can usually save a few $ more. Have fun.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM

It's always been known that flying to Europe from the USA is the cheapest with Air Lingus, thru Ireland (not sure which airport they land in), certainly cheaper than any other airline thru Heathrow.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM

From JFK, Aer Lingus is usually the cheapest bet, from non Aer Lingus ports, usually not. Currently, 1 way fares (minus taxes and fees) from JFK to Shannon and Dublin start at $179 for the month of December. From Boston, it's $169. I wouldn't think it would be worth getting to Boston for $20. There could be cheaper fares, but probably not much.

I've flown into both airports and getting out of Shannon is a bit less stressful but you should consider flying in to one and out of the other. Open jaw trips in Ireland don't cost anymore and you can pick up a car at one airport and drop off at another without a fee. That is one area where Ireland is very tourist friendly. Now the cost of that rental car and the strange dances involved with insurance is quite another matter.

Flying from Denver, my cost barrier was always $600. If I saw a RT for less than that during shoulder season (May), I bought it. Prices are higher now as John pointed out because of fuel surcharges. Giving advice on when the best time is to buy an airline ticket is sort of like giving advice on the stock market. I've generally found good deals for May around Sept and Oct and then there can be some price drops after Christmas. I would think December would be a bad time. Just guessing though.

Bill
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
rex

Worth your while also to check in on the Cheap Flights forum of www.eurotrip.com - - I have learned more about bargains there than from any other single source.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM

Just a cautionary note. If you change your flight itinerary on Aer Lingus you will incur a $75 change fee in addition to the difference in cost of the new ticket.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:24 PM
rex

<<Just a cautionary note. If you change your flight itinerary on Aer Lingus you will incur a $75 change fee in addition to the difference in cost of the new ticket.>>

Isn't this true on just about every airline?
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:21 AM

I hate JFK! I usually fly from Newark Liberty International (EWR) to Shannon on Continental Airlines although they also have nonstops to/from Dublin. I have flown from both.

As to which Ireland airport is easier to get out of, that depends on whether you will be picking up a rental car and driving or will be using Dublin's Airlink bus or Shannon's Bus Eireann connections. I always do the latter and for me: there's not much difference.

For your return, I think Shannon's Duty Free shops and the TaxBack counters where you get your VAT refunds are much better organized.

Sep/Oct travel you should book about June (to get advance purchase discounts); try to fly midweek (Tue-Thu) for the best prices.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I just got a $322 flight (Newark to Shannon on a HOLIDAY weekend) INCLUDING taxes on continental using the travelocity site! I couldn't believe it cuz i have been doing research for a month. this just popped up the other day and i couldn't refuse it. good luck all
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Wow! That is FANTASTIC! Don't you love getting those great fares??? I know you will have a terrific trip---it has already started out very well!!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM

I would suggest Aer Lingus, they fly into shannon and Dublin, It would depend on where you want to base yourself, that would determine where you fly into. I dont imagine you will be able to book online yet for Aer Lingus as they have a policy of only allowing bookings 330 days in advance. You could try booking next month, I have found its always to book as early as possilbe to get the best prices, dont book by telephone, do it online when the time comes, I saved €100 on flight to Spain doing it that way this summer.