Arriving/Departing from Different Cities in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. My sister and I are going to Ireland in September for a wedding in Dublin. We are planning to fly out a week before the event and want to begin our trip on the west coast and make our way to Dublin.

We're trying to find flights out of Washington, DC to Shannon or Galway and return flights from Dublin, but we must be doing something wrong 'cause we're not coming up with anything. We're fairly intelligent people, but boy are we having trouble. Is there anyone who has arrived in one city and departed from another city who can help us?

Thanks...Bongo
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:02 AM

It is done all the time (Shannon and Dublin), so how are you searching?
Do you check "multi-destination" or "multicity" instead of round trip? Travelocity just gave me seven options when I plugged random July dates. The Aer Lingus site also offers that searvh option. good luck
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Galway might be a little tricky but it is quite common to fly into Shannon and out of Dublin or vice versa. Try this go onto Orbits or another big travel site and as Kayd says select muliti city or more search options. Select your dates and fly in and out City and look at the results. If you see somthing you like go to that airlines web site, select the same and see if you can save a few $. I know for a fact that AA will fly you out of DC to Boston and then onto Shannon or Dublin and count it as one trip and I think United flys direct DC to Ireland. All of the Airlines I know of fly into Shannon and Dublin on the same flight so there is usually no extra charge. In Ireland Aer Arran services Galway and you might have to buy that ticket seperatley. Good luck
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Just want to agree strongly with JOHNOD. Check directly on airlines' websites for $$savings. I just purchased BOSSNN then LHRBOS and saved $100 doing it on AA site, over Orbitz. Just look for the 'multi-city'.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM

I recently purchased tickets from Boston to Shannon and Dublin to Boston using the multi destination option on the Aer Lingus site. I also checked with American and they also had the multi city option.

In my research, I also discovered Crystal Travel who had Charter flights out of Boston to Ireland where you could fly in and out of different cities. Don't know if they fly out of DC
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I have been to Ireland three times in the past year, and the best rates were always on the Aer Lingus website. On the first trip I arrived at Shannon and departed from Dublin.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM

We flew Aer Lingus last year from BWI (Baltimore-Washington airport). They discontinued that service. I don't know if they have any non-stop service from any of the Washington D.C. airports now. You could go U.S. Airways which serves both destinations from Phila. or Continental which does the same from Newark.

Flying to Shannon and home from Dublin should be no problem. I've had to do it a number of times: Continental has a B757 to/from Shannon and a larger capacity B767-400 to/from Dublin. Either U.S. Airways or Continental (or whatever other Airline) should be able to help you with your routing.

I don't know of any TransAtlantic Carrier that serves Galway or Kerry.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Just when on Aer lingus and punched in a couple of dates for flights from DCA to Dub. and out of Snn and kept getting all filled up messages but I didn;t try too hard. AA has flights for under $500.00 but be careful. On some of the flights listed they wanted to fly you into LGA from DCA and then you depart from Jfk to Ireland. Getting from LGA to JFK is no day at the beach. They do have a bus service but give yourself plenty of time if you go that route.
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

This is why I love the Fodors' forum. You all are awesome. I just went to Orbitz and gave it a try. Will definitely check the airlines for savings now that I know what to look for. How did we miss the "multi-city"? Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!! Bongo