Advice on Annecy vs. Montreux

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Annecy vs. Montreux

After a business trip to Geneva in late April, I'm looking for a place to take a few days vacation in the surrounding region (I'll be flying out of Geneva, so has to be fairly close).

I think I'm down to either Annecy, or Montreux in Switzerland. Looking for advice on how those two compare, or what experience you've had with Annecy.

I'm 27, male, traveling alone. I'm looking for a place where I can hang out in cafes during the day, maybe do some fun stuff on the lake, eat good food, and grab a drink and mingle with strangers in the evening. Wouldn't mind some surrounding hiking trails, but it's not my top priority.

Would folks here recommend Annecy? If you've been to Montreux as well, which do you prefer?
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Actually, the visit would take place in the first week of May.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 07:21 PM

I have been to both but with my wife. If I were alone, I would probably choose Montreux. Annecy felt more like a place to enjoy with someone else. You see romantic lake cruises, dancing in the park, walking along the lake, etc. Montreux is one of the series of pretty towns along the Lake all within easy access by boat or by train. Visiting Chillon Castle, Gruyere, or even Zermatt is possible and you see other singles doing the same. As for food, I think France has the upperhand.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 10:39 PM

On the other hand, you can go hang gliding above Annecy with an instructor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...57624529919999