Geneva or Lausanne from 1st to 4th of October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had excelent advice from Schuler and other Swiss people on this site, regarding Ascona; this time it's about Geneva or Lausanne. The choice is really between three hotels where I want to take my wife for three nights to celebrate her birthday.
The hotels are:
Beau Rivage in Geneva
Beau Rivage in Lausanne
and Angleterre in Lausanne.
I've never been to Geneva or Lausanne. I'm thinking of splashing out on a limo ride, spa treatment, fancy dinner, trip across the lake to Evian if possible, the works.
Alle three hotels are prohibitively expensive, Beau Rivage in Lausanne the most so. What I'm wondering is, will it be worth it? What if Lausanne is boring? We'd also like to take in some culture, and Geneva seems like a better bet for that.
Does anyone have any good advice on where I can have a good package deal, a taste of a high flying lifestyle? Are there any better hotels than the ones I mentioned for such a romantic getaway? Would be nice to do something physical too. (Yes, that as well, but I was thinking about bicycle riding.)
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Geneva is a cold city to my impression, better suited to international business dealings than to romance.

Lausanne is a much nicer town to visit imo. No it is not boring. Better yet Vevey or Montreux. You can walk/hike Lavaux vineyards. Take a boat ride on the lake.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Hi oliver,

Like suze, I favor the smaller places on the lake, Montreux or Vevey. They have such an old-world, old-money atmosphere that is very special. If this were me and money were no object, I'd head to the Trois Couronnes in Vevey, with lake views:

http://www.hotel3couronnes.ch/08/projet.html#/0/2/

You can read about it as the setting for Henry James' "Daisy Miller"!

Have fun!

s
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Geneva did not feel very "Swiss" to me. It could have been a financial district anywhere in the areas I saw. Nice enough old town and of course the lake, but let's just say "charming" is not a word that would come to mind. My Swiss friends call it "a city without a soul". Any of this may or may not matter for your purposes.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thank you for your help, both of you. I'll have a look at Vevey and Trois Couronnes. I'll also be happy to take more advice. The verdict seems to be in on Geneva. I saw it in a list of the best cities in the world to live in, in Monocle, but maybe they're blind - maybe that's the reason for the name of the magazine.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Well heck I think *living* there would be something else entirely. That's be fabulous! I'd move there in a heart-beat given the chance (a job, working papers or citizenship, and the ability to speak French fluently!)

It's more that Geneva proper didn't pop in my mind for a luxurious romantic get-away for a few days, when you have the other smaller towns nearby along Lac Leman that are sooo pretty. The lakeside promonade (quai) in Vevey and Montreux is one of the most beautiful places I personally have seen on earth so far.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Re Lausanne, plan a lake cruise allowing you to stop in Yvoire and have lunch at the Hotel Restaurant du Porte, ordering the specialty. Or take a drive, stopping at Evian and other spots.

In Montreaux we like the Hotel Bon Porte, a couple of blocks up from the promenade. They have a garage. Down on the promenade there is a very good outdoor restaurant, the first one you come to.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Are those hotels in Lausanne in Ouchy? That's the part of the city that's along the lake.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Well, thank you all of you. It looks like it's Vevey and Trois Couronnes for me. Cool to hear about Henry James as well. I'll probably read it, since I haven't. Hopefully we can take a boat trip from Vevey. I checked with Beau Rivage in Lausanne and they've given up boat trips to Evian at that time. (Early october.) But anyway, thanks for all the helpfull tips. I'll probably return to some of the other advice regarding hotels for a later trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM

I think you might find the Beau Rivage-Palace in Ouchy (Lausanne) a little nicer than the "Three Crowns" having stayed in both and will be in the BRP again in September.

I like Vevey, a bit more than Montreux but I suggest you read the TA reviews, too.

I know it's subjective but aren't most opinions? Lausanne vs. Vevey..kinda like comparing apples and oranges..Vevey is wonderful if you like smaller places. Geneva seemed just as "Swiss" as any other city in that country but to each their own I guess.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM

For high-end restaurants in the area: L'ermitage and Auberge de Rivaz are both excellent.

My comment about the Swiss-ness of Geneva was more that it just felt like any old international business city to me, reminded me a bit of New York City... I did not mean in comparison to other cities in Switzerland.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Seems to be a real difference of opinion regarding Vevey vs Lausanne, Beau Rivage vs Trois Couronnes. Would be nice with clarity.
It might be helpful if I said something about what my wife and I like. My wife really liked Negresco in Nice. She doesn't like modern and cold. When we stay in a city in Europe we usually stay near or in the old town if possible and go there and eat in the evening.
This summer we went to Ascona, which was perfect. We took bike rides. If we had stayed longer I would have tried to sail.
Then we went down to Bellagio and it was like entering the Twilight Zone, chock full of tourists, most of them loud and rude and a bit shallow. We'll probably never stay there again, perhaps go there to eat if we are in the area. We like quiet, subdued and elegant. We like the Swiss service and cleanliness and attention to detail.
I want to give my wife the best stay I possibly could.
To Dukey: "nicer" is a little vague, could you explain what you mean?
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 01:10 PM

Lausanne is a noticeably larger town than either Vevey or Montreux. All three places have a lovely quai along lakeside.

For the luxuriousness of various hotels, I'll have to let others handle that question (I have no idea).