Advice needed for travel from Prague-Vienna-Salzburg-Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planing to travel to the above 4 cities for a duration of 8 days trip.
Could any one advice me on the day to spend on each city . I plan to travel by train from one city to the others.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Salzburg is much smaller and sights are much more compact so if need be a day there could suffice. Vienna demands more time - much bigger - sights are more diffuse - Budapest and Prague's key sights for tourists are also in a rather compact area so a two days there each -

Vienna 3 days (could do a day trip from Vienna to Budapest - either by train or hydrofoil on the Danubs.

Salzburg 1 day

Prague 2 days

Budapest 2 days - if day trip from Vienna put the day IMO in Salzburg and consider doing a Sound of Music minibus tour or go on your own by postal bus and lake steamer to St Wolfgang on Lake Woldfgang.

If doing all this by train then you may investigate the European East railpass - especially a good value in first class, which after decades of European rail travel I strongly recommend for the average tourist on the trip of a lifetime. More room for luggage, wider seats and key usually quite a few empty seats. The pass for the most part lets you jump on any train in these countries anytime - just show up - trains in Austria at full fare can be pricey - esp in first class. Or you can peruse the web sites of each nation's railroads and perhaps get cheaper tickets by booking way in advance and not being able perhaps to change or refund. Anyway some fab IMO sites on planning the train part of the trip: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Salzburg is much smaller and sights are much more compact so if need be a day there could suffice. Vienna demands more time - much bigger - sights are more diffuse - Budapest and Prague's key sights for tourists are also in a rather compact area so a two days there each -

Vienna 3 days (could do a day trip from Vienna to Budapest - either by train or hydrofoil on the Danubs.

Salzburg 1 day

Prague 2 days

Budapest 2 days - if day trip from Vienna put the day IMO in Salzburg and consider doing a Sound of Music minibus tour or go on your own by postal bus and lake steamer to St Wolfgang on Lake Woldfgang.

If doing all this by train then you may investigate the European East railpass - especially a good value in first class, which after decades of European rail travel I strongly recommend for the average tourist on the trip of a lifetime. More room for luggage, wider seats and key usually quite a few empty seats. The pass for the most part lets you jump on any train in these countries anytime - just show up - trains in Austria at full fare can be pricey - esp in first class. Or you can peruse the web sites of each nation's railroads and perhaps get cheaper tickets by booking way in advance and not being able perhaps to change or refund. Anyway some fab IMO sites on planning the train part of the trip: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM

I just traveled from Vienna to Prague by train and have also visited Salzburg by train. I agree that there is far more to do in Vienna than either Prague or Salzburg although I enjoyed both. I spent four days in Vienna this time.
I purchased a rail pass before my trip because I was also visiting Italy Switzerland and Germany. In some cases I even made seat reservations ahead of time because I knew which train I wanted to take and didn't want to waste time while there.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM

We prefer Salzburg to Vienna and have been to both several times. We really enjoy both the city itself as well as the gorgeous Salzkammergut area which is easily accessible via public transport. I have personally spent weeks in Salzburg (months counting my time as a student there ) and never run out of things to do.

While I think Vienna is a pretty city, it is not a personal favorite. It all depends on your tastes and what you enjoy.

For me, 4 cities in 8 days is too much traveling. I would visit two, and maximum of three, in this short a trip. That is personal preference, and I know that others find a fast paced trip like this enjoyable. Different strokes....
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM

With your short amount of time I would look into only doing 3 of those cities. Something to mention is the train transportation between Prague and Salzburg isn't great and will take 7 hours I believe.

I personally would do either Vienna, Salzburg Prague or
Prague, Vienna Budapest but definitely not all four.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Of all the cities to simplify things I would leave out Budapest as an overnight stop and do it as a day trip from Vienna if at all. To me the day trip by train and boat from Vienna to Melk and the Wachau Valley and back to Vienna by train is one of the most delightful day trips I've ever done.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM

To throw another stone into the mix- a short and IMO great day trip from Vienna goes in one hour, by train, to Bratislava, capital of Slovakia and a neat old city on the Danube - and unlike huger Buda and Pest Bratislava is very manageable and can be seen in a few hours really - you can also hop there from Vienna by hydrofoil.