Advice from berner oberland to venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, My wife and I are planning to spend 10 days between Switzerland and Italy. Our current plan is as follows:

1. Fly into Zurich (evening arrival - hotel)
2. AM, go to Luzerne and spend a couple of nights.
3. Go to Interlaken/Berner-Oberland region, 3 nights.
4. *try* to catch a night train to Venice
5. One night in Venice
6. The rest of the time in Florence/Tuscany

I've been unable to find a good route to Venice from the Berner Oberland region. I guess there are a couple of mountains in the way.

We had originally included Lausanne, but felt that it was too much for the given time, but earlier in my research, I noted that there is an overnight traing from Lausanne to Venice. Now that we've nixed Lusanne, there doesn't appear to be a sleeper going from Interlaken to Venice. Any suggestions?

On a side note, I'm considering not purchasing a Swiss pass since we'll only be going form Zurich to Luzerne to Interlaken and then to Venice. the Swiss pass may be overkill?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:38 AM

Hi vafer2k,

I have some suggestions --

1. Why stay overnight in Zurich? Are you coming from the US and will be too exhausted? Luzern is only one hour by direct train from the Zurich airport, so pushing on for that one hour will save you from checking in and unpacking on one day then packing and checking out the next.

2. You could catch your overnight train to Venice from Montreux. From Interlaken Ost, take the scenic (but long) Golden Pass via Zweisimmen & Gstaad; maybe hop off and stroll around Gstaad and have lunch. Then take the next train onward to Montreux; stroll down the lakeside promenade, visit Chillon Castle, and have dinner. Then get on your train at 23.40 and arrive in Venice at 07.25 Yes, it's quite a bit of train travel, especially considering you're only spending one night in Venice --

3. Another option would be to take the overnight train from Zurich, departing at 23.09 and arriving at 07.23. Backtracking from the Berner Oberland won't be a big deal, and you can spend your day exploring Zurich.

4. Yes, the Swiss Pass will be overkill, by quite a lot. I usually get the Half Fare Card and find it saves me the most money with the least headache.

5. Train schedules at www.rail.ch.

Have fun!

s
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:55 AM

Hi Again,

I thought of another option --

Spend your first night in Zurich as you planned, but instead of going to Luzern in the morning, go to the Berner Oberland. After your three nights there, backtrack to Luzern and spend two nights. Then leave from Luzern to Venice; there's a train leaving at 22.49, changing at Zug at 23.30, and arriving in Venice at 07.23. Or you could just go to Zurich and catch it at 23.09.

Hope something here fits.

s
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Good morning, S! How many cups of coffee have you had already? Vafer, you can count on excellent info from S' J.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks S! Yes, we're flying in from the US and since we arrived in the evening, it seemed to makes sense to spend the night in Zurich. Thank you again for the great suggestions. The excitement is building.. Cheers!