Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

advice for travel around Sorrento - using a rental car?

Old Jun 27th, 2022, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying to Naples in Oct '22 to spend a few nights there and on the AC before renting a car and driving to Puglia to start a group bike trip. I thought we would spend 2 nights in Naples, then train to Sorrento for 3 nights and explore the Amalfi Coast from there. We will visit Pompeii from Sorrento,hopefully get to Capri for a day and will have another day to explore. We will rent a car to drive to Puglia and spend one night somewhere close to Brindisi or in Brindisi where the bike trip begins. My questions: Since we will be renting a car at the end of our Sorrento stay, will it be worthwhile to rent the car when we arrive in Sorrento?. We could drive to Pompeii and explore the AC area by car. I know there are t challenging raffic and road conditions, but my husband is a competent and confident driver who has driven in many European countries- France, Monaco, Croatia, Italy, Spain etc - so what would you who know the area suggest? Will traffic be heavy? Or is it more a case of ti=wisty narrow roads with many drivers? And is Sorrento our best choice of central location to sleep?
Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 06:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
No need for a car in the Sorrento area. I dropped mine right after checking into my hotel. You can take the train to Pompeii, the ferry to Capri, and a bus to Positano, Amalfi, etc. Roads are very narrow, twisty, and extremely congested. They are going to implement license plate restrictions very soon, last digit even on some days and odd on alternate days so chances are you would not even be able to use your car on your desired days. Pick up the car when you are leaving.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 09:15 AM

Drove the AC area and Sorrento on 3 occasions, always in September. Loved the freedom of having the car. No issues with the roads at all, actually enjoyed the driving. Now would I rent a car in July and August…No.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

yes, with Road restrictions it wouldn't make sense to have a rental car! thanks for your thoughts on this,
appreciated!
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks, it's good to hear it can work well, too!