Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Glasgow neighborhood for a couple of days?

Old Jun 27th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not till September, but I've gotten train tickets and it's fun to look. I've seen some likely B&Bs and small hotels in the West End and just southeast of Kelvingrove Park, and Carlton George looks good also.

I arrive and depart Central Station. I travel light, and don't mind walking a mile or so. I only have one full day, so would visit the Kelvingrove Gallery, maybe the Transportation Museum, hang out.

Won't be eating anywhere fancy. I usually like the casual places you find around Universities.

Where to find a blast of authentic Glaswegian?
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 12:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We were just in Glasgow two weeks ago. Had the best gorgonzola gnocchi ever (and I'm a gnocchi nut) for lunch at Santa Lucia Ristorante (68 Ingram Street). We also had a good dinner at the Italian Kitchen (across the street from Santa Lucia). You can never have enough Italian! I would suggest reservations at either as both were bustling.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 06:30 AM

Somewhere near the Subway is pretty optimal. I like staying near the Kelvinbridge stop because of the many shops, pubs, and fish&chips. The transport museum is a 10 minute walk from the Partick stop; the Kelvinbridge Museum is an 8 minute walk from the Kelvinhall stop (also with great pub/food options); the University is smack dab by the Hillhead stop (actually, walking from the Kelvinbridge stop to the Hillhead stop is a swooping arc right through the University, and past the amazing Hunterian Museum and University of Glasgow gift shop). There are an armada of fresh & easy eateries at and between all of those stops. And, yes oh yes, it's also a 5 minute walk from Glasgow Central station to the Buchanon Street stop (great pubs down there too). Can't beat the Glasgow Subway - - but you might not have time to do what is a tradition: have a pint at a pub near every stop on the circuit.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 07:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you stay in the Kelvingrove Park/University area, you ought to check out the Shish Mahal Indian restaurant, a local institution going on 60 years. Absolutely wonderful.

Also the Park Bar, in Argyle Street, offers traditional music and celeidhs, and decent food when available.

Walking map - https://goo.gl/maps/uWJ9ygheWAESA5E58
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Gnocchi nut. Love it, mtt!

I will check those out, gardyloo. I am very interested in hearing live traditional music. Thank you.

Dfourth, great tips. Why didn't I think about staying near a subway stop? I'm hoping to fill the gaps in my itinerary today, and that will help.

So much appreciate you all.