advice for stopover from shannon to klilenny

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any advice, please! we are flying into shannon from the states next week and have overnite reservations in kilkenny...what would be a good stopover for lunch,etc. to break up the drive? thanks!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
Ardfert

The only big town on the route is Limerick City itself which is 15 miles from Shannon and there are plenty of places to stop there depending on your budget.You could visit King John`s Castle,which is about 800 years old and have coffee there.The total distance to Kilkenny is only 95 miles(see www.viamichelin.com for distances)and will take about 2 hours or a little more.In Kilkenny itself I liked the coffee shop across the road from the castle.

Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 04:15 PM

dharnold,<BR><BR>The Cashel Hotel, located in Cashel on the way to Kilkenny City, is a fine place to have lunch. The food is quite good, and its located a short walk, through the grounds of the hotel, from the famous monastic site, the Rock of Cashel.<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 10:22 AM

A few suggestions:<BR><BR>The 2 hr 15 min time that via michelin suggests is probably pretty conservative. I would count on at least three hours. Since you will be flying in from the states, I definitely suggest a couple of stops to wake yourself up. Jet lag hates exercise and sunlight, but LOVES driving.<BR><BR>The route that Michelin suggests takes you through Tipperary and Cahir. This is a good choice as you could pick up Cashel, (as an excursion just up the road from Cahir) and Cahir castle on the way. My thinking is that Kilkenny is the maximum distance a person should consider driving that first day, though if you're from the east coast, the effects are substantially different than from the west coast. <BR><BR>There are plenty of beautiful things to see along the way, including an excursion into the Glen of Aherlow outside of Tipperary. Stop frequently and get out and walk around.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

bill,you've been a terrific help. thanks so much~ dkarnold
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Glad to help. I would guess that David's suggestion of the Cashel Hotel is excellent though I've never eaten there. I have a favorite in Cahir, the Galtee Inn, though I've only had dinner there. It is also within very short walking distance of Cahir big feature, it's castle.<BR><BR>Have fun!!!<BR><BR>Bill