Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best route from Kilkenny to Kenmare via ROC and Blarney Castle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be heading to Kenmare from Kilkenny on Sunday, May 23rd. We wanted to stop and see the Rock of Cashel and Blarney Castle on the way. What would be the best route to take for each of these legs? We are interested in taking the quickest and most direct route to each place. If there is a drive that is only slightly longer but more scenic, we would be interested in that as well.

From Kilkenny to Cashel, should I take the N76 to the R691? Or should I take the R693 to the N8?

From Cashel to Blarney Castle, I would assume the N8 is the best way to go. What is the best way to get to the castle from the N8? I would like to avoid any traffic in Cork, even though it will not be a weekday.

Lastley, from Blarney to Kenmare, should I take the N20 to the N22 to the R569? The N71 looks like it may take quite a bit longer.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM

Kilkenny to Cashel
You can almost flip a coin. N76/R691 is a bit shorter. R693/M8 is a bit faster (new motorway from Urlingford to Cashel, and further on to Cork). In Kilkenny Town, the R76 southbound (Clonmel) is a bit easier to find than the R693 northbound.

Cashel to Blarney
The N8 is the M8 nowadays. A good 4-lane motorway. You pay a bit of toll (€1.90) halfway to Cork.
Technically you can bypass Cork city, if you leave M8 at exit 19, follow R639 for 2-3kms, go west on R615 until you hit the N Ring Road (R635) which you follow west to N20. Nevertheless, don't sue me if you get lost
On a sunday, I'd follow M8/N8 into Cork, follow the routing along the Quays until you turn right on M20 towards Limerick for the few kilometers to Blarney.
If avoiding Cork city is of highest priority, you should leave the M8 already at Mitchelstown (exit 13) for N73 to Mallow (few kms before Mallow N73 will merge with N72), and go South on N20 from Mallow to Blarney.

Can't comment on the last leg from Blarney to Kenmare.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM

Agree with Cowboy1968 about Kilkenny to Cashel being a wash. Not sure one would be much faster than the other, since you have to swing north on the R693.

As noted, if you want to avoid Cork, you can take the N8 to the N73 at Mitchelstown which hits the N72 outside of Mallow. Then that to the N20, south to the R617 at Blarney. You could also stay a bit longer on the N8 and just catch the N72 directly.

The N71 would take a long time to Kenmare, for sure. The N22 is a better bet, as you noted, taking the R569. There are several options for getting to the N22 from Blarney, quickest probably the R579 south. I'd probably go the scenic route taking the R618 part of the way - however your total travel time from Kilkenny to Kenmare is probably going to be somewhere between 4 - 5 hours, just in the car. Add in stopping time at the Rock and Blarney Castle (plus waiting times if you are wanting to do the kissing thing) and it's a long day.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice! I wasn't awayre the N8 has been upgraded to the M8 or that there was a toll. I think I will take R693/M8 since our B&B is sligtly north of Kilkenny City Center. And since Sundays probably won't be terrible around Cork, I think I will take the M8/N20 to Blarney. It should be a long but fun day...can't wait!