Advice for driving So. Germany from Munich to Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I plan to fly to Budapest (2 days), train to Vienna (2 days), and train to Munich (2-3 days), then rent a car and take 4-5 days to drive to Frankfurt.
We would like to see areas near Munich/Bavaria, like the castles, and the Black Forest and the Rhine cruise area (St. Goar) before returning the car in Frankfurt.

Do we need an international license?
Recommendations for a car rental place?
Are there any particular areas where the drive could be hazardous or difficult ?
Suggestions for an itinerary?
Anyone have an experience in this area they would care to share?

Thank you
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM

You do not need an International Drivers Permit.

For rentals, check out www.autoeruope.com and www.kemwel.com. They are sister companies and have good prices. Others may be lower, and comparisons are always desirable.

The Michelin Green Guide often gives itineraries. It used to be at the beginning of the book (3 day, 4 day, one week itineraries), and then it gives itineraries for smaller areas in the pages covering that area. You might find that useful.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM

<i>Do we need an international license?</i>

No. It's a "nice to have" though.

<i>Recommendations for a car rental place?</i>

I like Sixt. Other people prefer other places.

<i>Are there any particular areas where the drive could be hazardous or difficult ? </i>

No but remember: <b>THE LEFT LANES ARE FOR PASSING ONLY!!!</b> The American habit of parking it in the left lane will not fly in Germany.

Also, most of the autobahn does indeed have a speed limit.

Oh, very important: when two public roads cross at an uncontrolled intersection, then right-of-way is always given to traffic approaching from the right.

<i>Suggestions for an itinerary?</i>

No, not really. You don't mention when your trip is. There might be a cool festival or something going on.

<i>Anyone have an experience in this area they would care to share?</i>

Nuremberg and Bamberg are worth visiting.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

The beginning to middle of October of this year. We will probably reach Munich October 9th.
Hopefully we are going after Oktoberfest and we will be able to get reservations.
AAA also said its nice to have an international driver's license. Why?
We would like to see the pretty areas around Germany, the scenery, towns, life outside the cities.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM

<i>AAA also said its nice to have an international driver's license. Why?</i>

Ask them. It is completely unnecessary.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM

<i>Hopefully we are going after Oktoberfest and we will be able to get reservations. </i>

Good luck with that. I think the reservations are pretty all gone. Your best bet is to show up early and see if you can sit with another party. This is very easy to do with two people. Remember to look them in the eye when you Prost, lest they think you're shifty.

<i>AAA also said its nice to have an international driver's license. Why?</i>

In theory it is because it has a German translation of the info on your license. In practice it is because they want your money.
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM

"Hopefully we are going after Oktoberfest and we will be able to get reservations."

The Oktoberfest ends on the first weekend of October, so if you arrive on the 9th you shouldn't have issues with a hotel in Munich.

I can recommend www.hrs.de for fast checks of hotel availability. If there's a local festival or a trade fair you see the prices going up early. If there are a lot of hotels available now with normal prices, chances are that rooms are probably even available when you arrive there in the evening(at least in larger cities).