Driving from Munich to Hamburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting Germany August 2012. We will arrive in Munich, rent a car and plan a drive to Hamburg, our final destination. We were wondering if anyone has driven from Munich to Hamburg for leisure and we’d appreciate advice on a scenic/leisurely route to Hamburg. We plan to spend a day or two in Munich and then head north to Hamburg via Frankfurt. We have 5 days before we have to be in Hamburg. In addition any or all advice on the route, places to stay/dine, visit etc. will also be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM

First the most scenic and leisurely routes would not involve Frankfurt at all.

Second, there are plenty of possibilities - and no "best" route. It depends on what moves you because there are so many places you could visit.

I think the best thing to do is to give you the names of interesting places in between and let you make a route after you research those places and decide which ones you just have to see. Lots of folks can help you refine a route once you find your targets.

So, here goes.

Augsburg - great small city and home to the Fuggers. Perhaps too close to Munich to warrant an overnight when you only have 5 days in total, though.

Nordlingen/Dinkelsbuehl/Rothenburg - the great triumvirate of the "Romantic Road" - a silly moniker but three fascinating towns all in a row northward.

Wurzburg - about as far west as you should probably consider going. Another fine small city with a Residenz that is astounding.

If you choose this route and are on this "west" flank northward, I would suggest;

Hannoversch Muenden - fine town on the Weser river with unique architecture

Goettingen - a stately small university city

Goslar/Wernigerode and Quedlinburg - three tremendous towns full of slate (Goslar) and half timbered houses.

Celle - final stop before Hamburg

If you want to shade east around the Harz mountains, consider

Nurnberg - I'll point out the gingerbread and sausages instead of the Nazi connections.

Bamberg - amazing beer, amazing cathedral, amazing Rathaus

Bayreuth - elegant "Wagner" town if you are a opera fans

Eisenach - one of Martin Luther's hangouts

The already mentioned Quedlinburg/Wernigerode/Goslar - I would not miss these three any time I was in the area.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM

Try viamichelin.com to see your alternative choices.

I like driving in Germany. The Germans obey the local traffic laws far better than Americans.

I'd do some searching for German rules of the road. #1 is always stay in the right lane, except if to pass. You never can tell when a Parsche or Ferrari will be in the fast lane driving 50 miles an hour faster than you.

All in all, I find European drivers to be much better drivers than American drivers.

Check out Hertz as a rental car company. I use them almost exclusively in Europe.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM

Aramis has given a good list but I'd say don't bother going to Celle.

They boast having many half timbered houses but they have a lot of false fronts with faux painting. Very little in old signs.
To be fair, We were so disappointed with the old town that we left before seeing the 24 hour art museum.

What are type of thing are you interested in seeing?