Search

Advice/Feedback needed for 3.5 day itinerary in Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice/Feedback needed for 3.5 day itinerary in Santorini

Hi everyone,

I'll be travelling alone to Santorini from 4 to 7 Oct. It will be my first time to the island, and I have 3.5 days to spend. I do not drive and will be utilising public transport for the duration of my stay. I enjoy history, culture and good food, but not wine. Swimming is out as I have sensitive skin that flares up easily although I would like to sail (if time permits) and see beaches. My intent is to get the most out of Santorini as far as possible, and would be grateful if I could get some advice/feedback on the feasibility of my travel plan below.

4 OCT
11.55am: Arrive Santorini from Mykonos
Check in at WhiteDeck Hotel, Imerovigli
Explore Imerovigli + Skaros Rock
Sunset from my room
Dinner at nearby restaurant

5 OCT
Early morning bus to Oia for photographs to avoid crowds
Explore Oia
Bus to Fira + Lunch + Explore Coastal Trail between Fira + Fierostefani
Bus to Oia from Fierostefani
Watch Sunset at Oia
Dinner at Amoudi Bay

6 OCT
Bus to Fira, then Akrotiri
Explore Pyrgos, have lunch there
Visit Prophet Elias Monastery
[Am considering renting a half-day taxi for this - would anyone be able to provide contacts?]
PM: Possible Sunset Caldera cruise, but am still undecided on this.

7 OCT
AM: Visit Perissa
Take water taxis to Red and White Beaches [again, no intention to swim, just to see the beaches]
Lunch at Perissa
[Alternatively, I could do Akrotiri this morning and then catch the water taxi from the Akrotiri beach]
PM: Possible return to the Caldera trail to catch up on anything I might have missed.

[I depart late on 7 Oct to catch the 0050hrs Blue Star Ferry to Rhodes; I have arranged with the hotel to leave my suitcase and the reception and catch a quick shower before departing.]

As this is my first time to Santorini (and Greece), I'd really be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 10:38 PM
kja

My favorite experiences on Santorini were visiting the Museum of Prehistoric Thira and visiting Akrotiri. YMMV.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi kja,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I definitely am planning to visit both Akrotiri and the Museum of Prehistoric Thira, Would you have any feedback based on your personal travels as to whether the plan I've put forward is feasible? For instance, might I be able to cut some locations from certain days and to work them into others for a smoother itinerary?

Regards,
Adeline
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 02:49 AM

I suggest you also visit Emporio. The 'castelo' section is very interesting. You could do that in conjunction with Perissa as it's the same bus.

Buses on Santorini are quite good. You certainly don't need one though from Imerovigli to Fira, it's a short (10-15 minutes) (and beautiful) walk.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 04:33 AM

Oct 4. You have enough time to pull in Oia/Amoudi evening trip. This allows you to identify where you want to come back next morning for caldera morning shots. It is NOT at all easy to find locations to take those iconic pictures of the caldera with blue domed churches. You have to choose one of many unmarked narrow alley between houses to have a view. Some paths feel like you are trespassing someone's backyard. I stayed in Oia and I spent about 30 minutes well before sunrise exploring 5 or so promising narrow alleys to find two locations I liked for the sunrise shots.
Oct 5 is busy with TWO trips to OIA. You will not make it to the sunrise at Oia even taking the earliest bus.
Oct 6 and 7. Sunset cruise + Red/White beaches are usually integrated if you take a half day dinner included cruise. No need to split over two different trips on two different days.
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 05:30 PM
kja

Originally Posted by adelylt
kja ... Would you have any feedback based on your personal travels as to whether the plan I've put forward is feasible?
Sorry -- I spent too little time on Santorini to be able to comment on your specific plans. Best wishes!