advance tkts to Florence museums

Oct 16th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

advance tkts to Florence museums

we will be in florence for only 1 day this week and we are wondering if it is necessary at this time of yr to purchase tkts to the uffizi and accademy in advance online. they charge a hefty booking fee for advance purchase of these tkts; is it worth it even late in october? thanks!
Oct 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Late October you might not need to book, but keep in mind that you will use up a lot of your one day in the Uffizi. Why don't you just go to Accademia this time and spend the rest of the day enjoying the city? Leave the trip to Accademia until as late in the day as possible and hopefully the queues to get in will have dropped right off. We got there at about 5pm and only waited 10 minutes to get in. You can spend as little as 15 minutes in there if that's all the time you have, or you can stay for ages. David is divine and is definitely worth seeing!
Oct 16th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

cathies: thanks so much- excellent advice!!!
Oct 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM

I was in Florence a couple of years ago in late October and yes, the non-reserve lines were still long - especially because on the day I had reserved my ticket, it was raining! I suggest you reserve a ticket, regardless.
Oct 17th, 2010, 12:31 AM

It does not cost a lot at all to reserve a ticket unless you are using one of the overpriced companies. Call the Accademia and it is only 3E to reserve your time. There is no way I would go without a reservation in October. I have been to Florence often in late October and the lines can be very long. Why waste time when the cost to reserve is so reasonable?

I agree with not visiting the Uffizi with only one day in Florence.
Oct 17th, 2010, 12:54 AM

I just left Florence a few days ago... and bought my ticket to the Uffizi the day before, and I'm glad I did. The line was long.
Oct 17th, 2010, 12:59 AM

I was in Florence this week and the lines are long at both museums. If you want to go into the Accademia, you can book a ticket just around the corner at San Marco Monastery (closes at 13:50.) San Marco itself is a stunning and not so visited site, the cells with Fra Angelico frescos are quiet, evocative and make a more memorable experience than seeing David to my mind.