Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence- Palazzo Pitti- How much time do I need?

Mar 28th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

I realize the Palazzo Pitti is a big place. There are exhibits in both the Costume Gallery and the Palatine Gallery that I want to see.

With those, and the rest of the sites in the palace that will come with those tickets...
How much time should I allot for my visit? (I will be going on a Tuesday morning following the Easter holiday.) They open at 8:15 and I plan on being there when they open.

Thanks for any input you can provide!
Mar 28th, 2014, 11:41 PM

You I want to see all, probably Pitti and Boboli would need a whole day and it could even not be enough. The galleria Palatina would be a top museum anywhere in the world, only in Florence it comes third after Uffizi and Accademia. So if you do not have too much time you have to do selective choices. Galleria d'arte moderna is very worthwhile but it would be the first to be skipped, as well as porcellane. Museo degli argenti may be a quick visit. Boboli in good weather deserves some time. Please note that the Boboli ticket is good also for the giardino Bardini, that is not in the Boboli area and a rather long uphill walk from Ponte Vecchio. (At some times shuttle may be available). IMHO it would not a good idea to let this ticket expire, as the giardino Bardini has a spectacular view over Firenze, closer than Piazzale Michelangelo. Again, a visit for good weather only.
Mar 29th, 2014, 12:10 AM
kja

I think it really depends on what else you are planning to see in Florence and how those other things fit in your schedule. As asps says, the Pitti could take all day, but I personally gave it only 1/2 day because there were so many other things I wanted to see in Florence -- and I had 5 full days there (not enough for me!).

Enjoy!
Mar 29th, 2014, 04:38 AM

Having visited the Pitti several times, we go only for a couple of hours each time. You could spend days but, unlike asps, I would put it way down the list of Florence museums - maybe 10th. It really depends on how much time you are spending in Florence and what else you haave on your list. In any case, I wouldn't spend more than half day.
Mar 29th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thx all!

This is my 5th visit to Florence, so I've been to many places already. This site was one I'd put off.

I will see the two museums mentioned and perhaps take that walk up to the Bardini gardens. And save the rest for a future visit.