Accomodation Question. Need Opinions

Feb 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Accomodation Question. Need Opinions

Hi. My husband and I are traveling to Italy for the first time. We are going for 2 weeks in the end of May beginning of June 2007. We are planning on booking a few hotels for the evenings in the major cities (venice, Rome, Naples). Do you recommend finding places to stay as we travel, or booking everything in advance? We are not sure of the smaller cities we will want to stay in. I know this is a busy time of year so I appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks,
Michelle
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:58 AM

You are asking this question in a forum of compulsive planners. So we all would reserve ahead. Depends on how picky you are about where you stay. I'm sure I stay nicer places because I research and reserve ahead. And get nicer rooms.

However, of course, it's not required -- except maybe in the busiest places. If you have a car, you have more flexibility. Some people have suggested bringing along a list of possible hotels and calling for reservations a day or two ahead. And, if the town has a tourist information office (often at the train station), they can help you find accommodations. But small towns do't have TIs.
Feb 10th, 2007, 08:58 AM

It just depends on how flexible your are. We are perfectly happy with B&Bs, one and two star hotels -- as long as they are clean. Which we have never found to be a problem. We seldom book in advance other than key locations or situations -- first night on arrival and last night before departure. Otherwise we float fairly free and make use of the TI or maybe reserve a day or two ahead. At that time of year, for Venice,Naples, and especially Rome I probably would make a reservation.
Feb 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM
ira

Hi M,

>Do you recommend finding places to stay as we travel, or booking everything in advance? <

You will be in Italy during the season.

If you are planning on Tuscany, Cinque Terre and/or the Amalfi Coast, I suggest booking in advance.

Feb 10th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I like to get the most bang for my bang and also to know exactly where I am staying. I also enjoy creature comforts and prefer a full service front desk.

I am already booked for my fall trip and I always prefer to plan ahead. Especially for a first timer, and in high season, I would not want the hassle of finding accomodations while on the road and having to settle for what it left over.
Feb 10th, 2007, 10:20 AM

You have identified several reasons why booking in advance is a good idea for you-
1. It's your first time. you don't know your way around the palces you are going to.
2.It's spring-summer - the best places will go in advance.
3.you are going to cities/towns - you could spend hours traveling about trying to find somewhere you like and then it might not be very conveniently placed.

In 2 weeks, allowing for jet-lag and travelling time, you really only want to be staying in 4 places maximum. You lose a day every time you move, especially places as far apart as Venice, Rome and Naples. [are you flying open jaw?]

Do you want to hire a car?

There are lots of threads on this site about smaller places to stay between Rome and Venice.

You could pick up a car and drive to Rome [you won't want a car there] or train to Rome and pick it up there when you set off for Naples.

Or you could opt to stay outside Rome and travel in for day trips.

Good luck!
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thaanks for your help. We were leaning toward being good planners. Can you guys recommend some nice hotels in Venice, Rome, Florence. We are looking for mid-range spending, but want good locations in each city. Also, we will be renting a car. Can you Drop off the car in Rome (because we will not need it while there) then re-rent another?
Thanks for the help.
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Also, If we are looking to spend 2 weeks, and want to hit Venice, Rome, Naples (amalfi coast) how many nights do you recommend in ea spot? Thanks for all the help,Michelle
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Hi, michelle,

Have you decided how many stops you are having and are you travelling open jaw?

On the assumption that you are, and you decide to opt for my 4 stops suggestion, you could do

Venice 4 nights
Tuscany 3 nights,
Rome 4 nights
Naples 3 nights.

Of course you can drop off a car in rome, and then re-rent when you leave. It's just a new rental agreement.

i've given you an extra night in Venice cos of jet lag, and another in Rome cos it's Rome!

There are loads of threads about hotels in all 4 places, to get you started.#

good luck!
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Yes we are flying open jaw. We are making the flight arrangements this week, and hotels by the weekend. Thanks for the sample itinerary. Once we get more firm details I will post them.. Thanks again,Michelle
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:09 AM

And, if you search the forum, you will find lots of suggestions for hotels in Venice, Florence, and Rome. venere.com shows hotels on a city map; www.tripadvisor.com has travelers' reviews of hotels.