Should I Be Worried about adv. booking?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! 4 of us are leaving for Italy in a few days and we've only booked rooms in Rome and Venice.
For the 5 last days that we are there, we decided to wing it, since we wanted to go with our gut feeling as to where, in Italy, we wanted to go next. Should I be worried that I haven't booked a place in advance for Florence/Siena or Cinque Terra? or worried about not making train reservations from Rome to Venice? Please help, I'm leaving in 3 days. Thanks!!
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Reports here are that Italy in general and CT in particular are VERY crowded in high season (i.e. now). Perhaps you should consider trying to book now and see what you find open... The less flexible your budget and the more discerning your tastes, the more important to do so...
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:17 AM

I personally would not worry about the train tickets as there are frequent trains. If you are flexible, it is not an issue.

As for hotels in Florence and the CT, these are both very popular and it is high season. Personally, I do not like to wander around looking for rooms nor do I want to be at the mercy of what is left over. I would absolutely have rooms booked.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think there is any need for train tickets in advance, no problem there.

I think a large city like Florence will offer many more hotel options, then the small towns of the Cinque Terra.

Maybe you can at least call ahead and make some once you are in Rome or Venice? At least a couple days in advance, rather than 4 people wandering around a place with their luggage looking for rooms?
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you researched hotels in those locations? My question is, do you have a list to work from once you get there? Or you really don't have any idea about places to stay in those places. I hope your group of 4 all has the same 'gut feelling' about where you should go(!) seems like that might make more problems than to have decided in advance imo.

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:43 AM

If it's at the end of your stay, at least have a list of likely hotels in hand, and consider making up your mind a couple of days ahead - your concierge in the hotel of that city may be able to help you book.

For my money, I'd book hotel rooms now - the more charming a place is, the better located, the sooner it will book up, since word of mouth on those places is so strong a selling point.

By the way, it is Cinque TerrE - Cinque=five, Terre=lands, plural. Say Cinque Terra and your adjective and noun disagree, so you basically have: Five Land.

It's a common mistake. Rick Steves in his video actually says CinquA TerrA = Cinqua is not a word, at least not in Italian. Just one letter, but might as well get it right!
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Will you be looking for 4 single rooms at the same hotel? Or 2 doubles? Or one quad room? Two doubles may be possible, the other options difficult, especially on/in the Cinque Terre.

Most of us on Fodor's are planners by nature. I'm sure I stay in nicer places by booking well ahead, and I don't like to spend part of my valuable vacation time looking for accommodation.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM

train...no
hotels...yes
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
italy_traveller

Hi, if you have any particular reputed hotels in mind at the places you are planning to go, why not try this http://snipr.com/1ni4b If you are not sure about booking, send a booking request first and based on the hotel's reply, you can book accommodation online and pay directly at the hotel.

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Train tickets you can get there.

But hotels are another story. To get an idea look online now (it would be madness to go without at least a list of possible places) to see how many are already fully booked. That may provide your answer (they're not going to build any more rooms between now and when you arrive).

Also - ralize that what's left is left for a reason: either VERY expensive, or badley located or nasty. Inexpensive/moderate and charming are the first to go.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
by yourself - not too worried about where you end up - sure, wing it. But for 4 in some of the most popular places in Italy - you really do need to book now. Otherwise you may end up spending a whole day just looking for a place to sleep - and paying a fortune for it.

If you were going in March or late October that would be different but late June/early July -- BOOK . . . . .
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:44 AM

I've "winged it" for only one night of my trips to Italy,so i'm not an expert.
The night I decided to wait didn't go well. Most places sold out (Oct) and we spent a lot of valuable time searching for lodging.
If you afr fluent in Italian and have traveled there before, you have a much better chance.
If you were holding off for unusual locations (like Aosta), waiting to see hoe their weather is, I understand.
I have a hard enough time getting the places I want to stay in 5-8 months out,especially in season.
Train shouldn't be a problem, but where and when do you plan to decide on staying in Florence or Siena? Showing up with your bags and wandering around won't cut it.
Good news: you'll still enjoy yourself!
Bad news: you probably should have asked this question a couple months ago.