Towns in Tuscany

Search

Towns in Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towns in Tuscany

Trying to decide where to visit while in Florence.

Between Lucca, Pisa, Chianti, Sienna, Fiesole and San Giacommo (spelling ?)

We are a young married couple on vacation. We are hitting the big cities like ROme, Florence adn Venice- as well as Almalfi Coast- but wanted to spend some time in small villages of Tuscany- we just cant decide which.

Any differences amoung them would be helpful in helping us decide!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends to an extent on your perception of "City" Town" and "Village".

Florence has a population of around 400K, Siena around 60K, Lucca 80K (it surprised me to find that Lucca is larger than Siena)

San Gimignano is far smaller with around 7.5k.

As far as visiting , Siena is historically the most important, being a major power until conquered by Florence - it has a superb cathedral, the famous Campo with its bell tower. In my opinion it is worth at least a day.

Lucca is flatter, less packed with famous buildings, and its main attraction is its late medieval walls. You could do Lucca and Pisa in a day as the two are only 20 minutes apart by train or car.

For many people, Pisa is only the Campo dei Miracoli. I think there is more to it than this, but the campo is certainly the highlight.

Sam Gimignano is much smaller, and a very pretty town, although the tourist population can swamp the local inhabitants in terms of numbers. Great views from the remaning climbable tower, and good artworks in the main church.

Fiesole is a good place from which to view Florence - particularly at sunset. Easily reached by the number 7 bus from the station in Florence.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 11:33 AM

In order "to spend some time in small villages of Tuscany" you need to have the use of a car. Having hit the big cities, this would be a very good idea IMO.

I suggest that you arrive in Orvieto by train, rent the car there for a few days and drive to the Val d'Orcia region and visit some of the many classic Tuscan hilltowns there.

- LongIslandGuy
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:35 AM

Loved Orvieto, Pienza, Cortona and San Gimignano. Have a look in the chapels and churches of the small towns if you like art. Some of the peices and decorating in the churchs are amazing and so much more peaceful tha that the Vatican etc in Rome.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Lucca is very beautiful.